Exercising with a New Tattoo

I just got some fresh ink on my left shoulder blade and my low back. The shoulder is a touch-up job because I lost some color from it pretty much right off the bat; come to think of it I was in a weight training class at the time! My artist said it's because it's a spot that moves so much. He told me to avoid flyes and rows for about 2 weeks, so I won't be doing any of those for a little while. I also notice that bending over or doing crunches strecthes the skin on my low back, so I want to take it easy there, as well. I think I can modify crunches and stuff so that I still work them without pulling on the new tattoo.

My question is, what is the minimal amount of weight training I can do to maintain how far I've come in the last month or so? I don't want my other muscles to get stronger while my shoulders (which I'm sure won't exactly go into atrophy or anything!) don't get worked much. I'm happy with my progress and don't want to slip too far back.

Thanks for all your help so far. I'm already to the point that I feel weird and jonesy if I don't work out nearly every day.

Is there a general rule of thumb for this sort of stuff. At some point in the next few months I want to get some new ink on the outside of my forearm and I was also wondering about how long I should leave it until I hit the gym again?

Sorry I can't help Trueboo...however I think there is another thread about this somewhere though, I just don't have the time at this moment to search for it.

The tattoo on my left shoulder is a rose and is part of a bigger piece. It was the first sitting for that piece and serves the purpose of covering up a small tat. I like the whole tattoo, but the lost color really made me self-conscious about it. The lowback is script circling my cat's pawprint, it's his name! I just want to make sure everything heals well, you know.

I have never ever heard of a power tower, I'll check it out. I figured I can carefully do my biceps and triceps, and do side bends with dumbbells to keep my abs up. I'll also walk around work with the abs sucked in and flexed. That seems to be somewhat effective.

Thanks everyone!

A power tower allows you to put your forearms on a pad and your upper back against another. Then you simply lift your legs up to work your abs. Every gym should have one...they may just call it something different.

I have seen those power tower things! That is a good idea!

You couls probably do some pilates stuff and in general keeping your abs "on" or flexed as much as possible is good. Anytime I think of it i try to tighten my abs.

• 3 weeks later...