Smith Machine

vegan912

It depends on how much balance you have without it. If you have good technique and balance then it will effect you less and if you have poor balance you'll lift a lot more with the smith machine. Also if your capable of lifting large amounts of weight it will show more there too. I know for myself I'd bench only 15lbs more but on squats I could do well over 50lbs more. Plus some machines are smoother than others while some even have sticking points.

Because of the way the smith machine is designed the bar itself only weighs a few pounds. Alot of knuckleheads at my gym try to look impressive pressing big plates that they can't otherwise press by using a smith machine . But that's besides the point. I would suggest using a power cage if you have access to it.

Yeah, the Smith machine is typically a load of rubbish for most exercises. Since when is a squat or deadlift done in a completely vertical line (or, in a line that angles back upward at a strict 4-5 degree angle like some machines have?!?) I use the machine very, very sparingly, and on the rare occasions I do, it is for extremely short-range finishing movements, such as overhead shrugs, 1-arm shrugs or overhead press lockouts for a short 3-5" ROM. I'd never base any workout program around them and would consider them useful only for a very, very select few things where you don't need the bar to more more than a few inches so that you're not following an exaggerated path of movement for any significant distance.

Not only that, but the more recent Smith machines are getting worse and worse. The angled plane of movement, the self-racking feature (which is EXTREMELY irritating when the bar racks in the middle of a set), the fact that many now don't let the bar go below 18-20" from the floor or don't allow for it to go up more than a few inches above a starting squat position - all things that make for a terrible piece of equipment.

• 16 years later...

The Smith Machine is a staple in many modern gyms, designed to enhance safety during heavy lifting. Its guided barbell system allows for smoother motion and less risk of injury, making it ideal for both novice and experienced lifters. A rugged tablet can be mounted nearby, providing workout tracking and instructional videos to help optimize your routine. With this technology integration, the Smith Machine offers a comprehensive and high-tech approach to strength training.