Montreal Living

Dr. Pink

Eventually I want to move to Montreal. I am currently working at Target and I want to at least save up to 2000 dollars in savings. And possible 1,000 in my checking. I have a friend I know online who lives there. She says they have a wells Fargo( Which I use here in the states) And I do plan to take a small trip up there first to see if I like it. I only really have a few important questions as for now on my trip.

#1: Do any Trains or Busses go to Canada or is the only way through Airplane? I Can't afford an airplane ticket and Car travel is out of the Question as I do not have one.

Now as for me moving there. I do need to find out how to get a Canadian citizenship and all that. But most importantly. Can American Money be used up there or would I have to convert to Canadian? I wonder if since Wells Fargo ( Which I use here) is there too than maybe when I move there I can take it out of my account in Canadian or possibly have them transfer my funds all in canadian so it can be in the Canadian Wells Fargo bank as Canadian Money.

1. personally, i would save more money.

but that's just me...people have made moves with much less than what you are planning.

2. i can take a bus from where i live (albany, ny) to montreal for about $50 and i'm sure amtrak is more expensive.

depending on where you are coming from, it might be cheaper to fly. compare airfare prices on a site such as kayak.com to greyhound.com and amtrak.com.

3. it's a different country so you will need to use their currency.

you should be able to use your 4-digit atm card in most atm's all over the world so you shouldn't have a problem using it in canada. your bank will convert the canadian dollars you take from the atm and deduct the equivalent amount of u.s. dollars out of your account.

4. if you spend over 3 months you will need a visa.

Eventually I want to move to Montreal. I am currently working at Target and I want to at least save up to 2000 dollars in savings. And possible 1,000 in my checking. I have a friend I know online who lives there. She says they have a wells Fargo( Which I use here in the states) And I do plan to take a small trip up there first to see if I like it. I only really have a few important questions as for now on my trip.

#1: Do any Trains or Busses go to Canada or is the only way through Airplane? I Can't afford an airplane ticket and Car travel is out of the Question as I do not have one.

Now as for me moving there. I do need to find out how to get a Canadian citizenship and all that. But most importantly. Can American Money be used up there or would I have to convert to Canadian? I wonder if since Wells Fargo ( Which I use here) is there too than maybe when I move there I can take it out of my account in Canadian or possibly have them transfer my funds all in canadian so it can be in the Canadian Wells Fargo bank as Canadian Money.

A visit requires a passport now if I remember right.

As for the amount I am saving. I decided to post pone the move until May. So I figured out if I save 300 bucks every paycheck I will have 4,800 dollars. A bit more than my previous amount.

And as for living. It is possible to hold both an American and a Canadian citizenship right?

BTW. Anyone here from Montreal?