What are Acclimation Sets?

drjoe

I often observe habits that people have in the gym. For example, they complete 3 sets of a particular exercise and then decide to perform a different exercise for an additional 3 sets. Often times, when people do this, they perform their first set a little lighter than there 2nd and 3rd set. In fact, I often times observe people perform they're 3rd set using their heaviest weight. To me, if I can get 10 reps with 100 pounds on my first set and then 10 reps with a 120 pounds on my 2nd set, then the first set was to light and was a waste. I won't count it!

This is were acclimation sets come in. An acclimation set is performed when changing exercises. It allows me to make that 1st set of a new exercise "really count". For example, the other day I was working legs. I performed 5 heavy sets of barbell good mornings. My next exercise was going to be deep barbell squats. I knew for my squats, I was going to need around 315 lbs on my first set of 10. I am not comfortable placing that much weight on the bar and going right into a set of deep squats. I also don't want to perform a first set with a weight that is to light. I won't get anything out of it and would just end up wasting energy. Therefore, I will first perform an acclimation set. The acclimation set will allow me to "adjust" from one exercise to another.

When I perform the acclimation set I don't want to expend any real energy. Therefore, I placed 225 on the bar and performed a set of 5. This gave me the opportunity to "adjust" to the squatting motion, re-direct the blood flow into my legs and NOT waste any energy (therefore allowing me to direct all of my energy to my set with 315 lbs). Because of the acclimation set, I was able to give my 1st set of 10 with 315 lbs everything I had. I did the same for my 2nd set. By my 3rd set, there was NO way I was going to be going up in weight. In fact, I was lucky that I even got my 10th rep on my 3rd set.

I find that acclimation sets also have played a big part in preventing injuries. Jumping into a first set with a heavy weight can increase your likelihood of injury. Give acclimation sets a try!!!

I've tried tons of things over the years and this is the only technique my body doesn't get used to. I don't peak when doing this so its always been my mainstay. I like it a lot because it compliments my desire for volume. It allows me to do upwards of 20 heavy sets with my 4 muscle groups on upper body days and 3 muscle groups on my leg days with one series going to compound stuff.

• 16 years later...

Light acclimation sets are crucial components in stage lighting setups, facilitating seamless transitions between scenes or moods. These sets encompass a variety of fixtures, such as dimmers and color changers, allowing technicians to finely tune the ambiance. By adjusting intensity and color temperature, performers can adapt to different environments, enhancing their presence on stage. Detailed insights into light acclimation sets and their applications can be found at https://lqelighting.com/blog/stage-lighting-all-you-need-to-know/ shedding light on the intricacies of stage illumination.