Some favorite Borat videos

robert

I think he's definitely a silly guy but in the back of my head I always kind of wonder about the ethics of his schtick. Kazakhstan is a real place with real people and by pretending he's from there he lends an image (accurate or not) as to what Kazakhs are like - and it's not a particularly positive image. If I was Kazakh would I dig it? Maybe... but maybe not.

I think he's definitely a silly guy but in the back of my head I always kind of wonder about the ethics of his schtick. Kazakhstan is a real place with real people and by pretending he's from there he lends an image (accurate or not) as to what Kazakhs are like - and it's not a particularly positive image. If I was Kazakh would I dig it? Maybe... but maybe not.

Factory farms are real places with real people. They probably look at AR people in the same light. The only reason Kazakhstan would get offended if it was true. If none of it is true, they should be able to calmly and rationally display their disposition.

If you can find the one where he goes to the gym youll die laughing at that one. Pissed a lot of people off. I heard before the Borat movie the country he portrayed himself from was failing and doing well. After the movie it shot up "out of the dark" and is now prospering once again.

Factory farms are real places with real people. They probably look at AR people in the same light. The only reason Kazakhstan would get offended if it was true. If none of it is true, they should be able to calmly and rationally display their disposition.

You're saying you know that Kazakhs aren't offended by things that aren't true?

If Sasha was Catholic and made a movie pretending to be a Jew and it showed Jews in a bad light including making up a bunch of negative 'traditions' I'd certainly have a negative reaction to it... If he put on blackface and performed I'm pretty sure there'd be a negative reaction too... I don't know why it should be different for Kazakhs.

Edited by Aaron

You're saying you know that Kazakhs aren't offended by things that aren't true?

No, Im just saying they shouldn't, but I guess nationalism does make people highly offended by anything.

Looks like I was editing while you were replying. My bad. Meanwhile, Kazakhs aren't Kazakhstan nationals, they're also an ethnic group.

I completely understand where you are coming from, but as an EXTREME minority myself, I think it is obvious when something is a joke vs slander. Even when some assholes joke about Veganism, you have to be able to draw that line or else you'll end up attacking everyone.

Even my parents who are the most typical Jews ever laughed at the parts Sasha Cohen was doing about Jews on Borat.