So what do you guys think about soy?

I have always believed that soy was a nutritious and healthy substitute for meat and dairy and a great source of protein,vitamins,minerals, and healthy fats, but recently I've been hearing that soy has many antinutrients and unless the product states it's not is always genetically modified, and that soy makes males somehow become fenimine. I just can't seem to accept that yet, that soy is so unhealthy, and I would like to see your opinions about soybeans. Thanks guys !

Edited by Sir Veganism

What do I think? I think that soy is great but tofu has a damn lot of fat in it when if you're (I'm) trying to have a very low fat diet. (As opposed to soy protein isolates or soy milks.)

The soy makes you gay / have man boobs / whatever thing is bull. Its estrogens supposedly aren't the same as those that encourage feminine qualities and regardless that "problem" overlooks the estrogens in meat and dairy. Look around I think there's been discussions about that here before.

What is an "antinutrient"? Sounds like something I'd read on a website with a picture of the bearded author on every page.

moderation is the key. all the articles on t-nation about this seems kinda exaggerated. it might sound stupid but i honesty think the dairy industry is behind all this.

one of the first negative articles i saw about soy and bodybuilding was one from ast-ss (http://ast-ss.com/articles/article.asp?AID=236)

Just recently, I was asked by the United States Dairy Export Council to review all the research on soy protein.

My avatar says it all!

I totally have avatar envy... You definitely have the coolest avatar here!

-Chris

LOL.

It was almost Happy Bunny but I couldn't fit in the words. Tigger is a nicer guy anyway.

I agree with xJohanx concerning the dairy industry backing much research on soy products. I'm sure the beef and chicken/pork industries must have some interest as well.

Here's a thought. If all this soy is bad for you then no one should be eating animal products - they are all fed GMO soy! Of course, they're also fed steroids and antibiotics, which we know is passed on in milk and fat - but no one thinks about this when they eat animal products. I'd be much more worried about getting hormones in dairy/meat products than in soy. I'd also be worried about all the other hormone disruptors and toxins that accumulate in animal fat.

I'll stick to soy. Even if it's not perfect, it has far less toxins, hormones and chemicals in it than any animal product.