Cyclists help me a find a bike...please

I've thrown myself around on 20 inch bmx bikes for ages. But, im looking at getting a mountain bike now. Im not too familiar with them though. Im lookin for something that can handle multiple terrains fairly well.

I want to be able to ride into the city, but also hit a few trails if I feel like it. The two bikes i've been interested in are both specialized. The rockhopper comp and the stumpjumper.

How much do you want to ride in the city and what kind of trails do you plan on riding??? If you want a bike that can handle serious trails...it'll be really unpleasant to ride it on the road unless you swap to slick tires all the time. If you get a bike thats OK for roads you won't be able to handle loose terrain on trials very well.,.there's a lot of give and take here.

How much do you want to ride in the city and what kind of trails do you plan on riding??? If you want a bike that can handle serious trails...it'll be really unpleasant to ride it on the road unless you swap to slick tires all the time. If you get a bike thats OK for roads you won't be able to handle loose terrain on trials very well.,.there's a lot of give and take here.

I guess my concern isn't street riding. I just meant something that could replace my car if I wanted to make a quick run into town or a friends. Not looking to break my neck on serious trails or downhills. Just muck around a bit.

Then I say just go with a hardtail...maybe even with a standard fork(no suspension). You may even want to go with a single speed...it'll be lighter and not so desirable to uneducated bike thieves.

Then I say just go with a hardtail...maybe even with a standard fork(no suspension). You may even want to go with a single speed...it'll be lighter and not so desirable to uneducated bike thieves.

I was leaning more towards a hardtail. Im gonna have to do a bit more research. Thanks for the advice

Thats actually a great bike. Good components(diore isn't the lightest but its very durable)...nice shocks and add ons. The only thing I'd want thats not on it is disc brakes. It may be overkill for you though...you don't need full suspension.

As for sizing I personally size customers on bikes a bit smaller if they're between sizes. A big bike is harder to steer and a bit heavier. This bike should be fine for you. I'd rather put you on a 19" but it seems this bike comes with a relatively short stem so you can always go a bit longer...go too long and it steers like crap though.

No biggie...lots of bikes come around on Ebay. You should look at craigslist too. Lots of people sell bikes there trying to get rid of them quickly...not knowing how much their bike is worth.

I found that I really enjoy my Raleigh Mojave MTB. They're very basic, but work great for commuting, running errands, or riding in wet weather (I have added fenders to mine, which really help for slush or snow). The stock stem has a severe lean, so I got a stem riser and a higher stem and now the position is a little more relaxed.

The least expensive Mojave is the 2.0, which I got for only $250; it really was a steal at that price. It's heavy, but that's the only fault I can find with it.

Both of those bikes would be great choices(and a good fit). The blue one is specked a bit better and will probably go for $150-200 more than the copper one but its worth it...not necessary though. They'll also be relatively lightweight for what they are.

threeloaves, if you're coming from a BMX maybe a cruiser BMX or a 26" single speed jump bike - something strong with a rigid fork would be a good choice. Depends on what kind of bmx'ing you were doing before. I'm in a similar bind. I retired from bike trials (20" mod bike). I tried a friend's 24" BMX and had a blast, then I tried a 20" BMX and loved that even more. I couldn't decide, so I didn't buy anything. Then, a few weeks ago, I went for a ride on my brother in law's classic restored Zunow road bike (sweet frame, campy parts) and loved that too. I guess I just love all kinds of bikes. The point is, it doesn't matter so much what you buy - any bike is awesome and you can always sell it and buy another. The more bikes the better...

Very true...at the end of next month I'll have 5 bikes...all with skinny tires...I'm thinking I'll get a mountain bike next but the skinny tires keep calling my name.

threeloaves, if you're coming from a BMX maybe a cruiser BMX or a 26" single speed jump bike - something strong with a rigid fork would be a good choice. Depends on what kind of bmx'ing you were doing before. I'm in a similar bind. I retired from bike trials (20" mod bike). I tried a friend's 24" BMX and had a blast, then I tried a 20" BMX and loved that even more. I couldn't decide, so I didn't buy anything. Then, a few weeks ago, I went for a ride on my brother in law's classic restored Zunow road bike (sweet frame, campy parts) and loved that too. I guess I just love all kinds of bikes. The point is, it doesn't matter so much what you buy - any bike is awesome and you can always sell it and buy another. The more bikes the better...

I used to ride street mainly. Throwin myself on rails, ledges, etc. I haven't been on anything other than a 20 inch in probably 15 years.

Its probably a bit small but not terribly. Its definitely too small for the person thats been riding it...its set up almost like a road racing bike. Anyhow its got good components and a nice wheelset so it'll be worth bidding on for sure.

You could have some fun on a Jump or North shore Style hardtail... You can still commute on them, but also have fun on the way home...

Maybe something like this

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/shore_hardtail/kompressor.php

I know a couple of ex BMXers and this is the style of mountain bike that they had the most fun on...

Those looks cool. I'm gonna check into them more when i get home. Thanks. Does specialized make something like this? Maybe the rockhopper pro, or stumpjumper ht? I think Im leaning more towards a hardtail bike like this though.

Mountain bikes are confusing the hell outta me. So many different styles or riding, sizes of frames, parts, etc.

I've seen those specialized p's before. I don't know that I want one of those though. It seems redundant to get one of those if I already have a 20" bmx bike that I ride street, and trails with.

I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250220108000&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us

But, again, I really have no idea what im looking at or for. I'de like to be able to just hop on my bike, and ride wherever. I can do that now on my bmx, but it's not much fun. And, all the hills around here are a killer on my back with that thing. I mainly just take that to parks, or tear up ledges in the city.

Pretty much any mountain bike is gonna be a killer to climb Pittsburgh hills with. I didn't even think about what city you're in. There isn't any way around that other than a lax geared road bike...but then you can't ride that on trails so much.

Pretty much any mountain bike is gonna be a killer to climb Pittsburgh hills with. I didn't even think about what city you're in. There isn't any way around that other than a lax geared road bike...but then you can't ride that on trails so much.

I don't mind the hills, really. A mountain bike has to be more efficient than what I'm riding now.