The great BMI debate!!!!

JW

BMI has always baffled me.

I've always pretty much rejected BMI on the grounds that extremely fit individuals can be classified as obese according to their BMI.

On the other hand, I read something the other day which stated that the above argument is irrelevant.

That the heart is built in a way that it can only support so much body weight whether it be muscle or fat.

Some of the fittest athletes on the planet (soccer players) fall within the acceptable BMI range.

But .......... BMI target figures seem ridiculously low to me.

My upper range would be about 200 lbs

Man!!!! When I was marathoning, I was around 190

What are your thoughts on ideal body weights and whether or not BMI targets are realistic?

In my personal opinion, the BMI is worthless. I've heard that Arnold would be considered obese (at least in his prime) according to the BMI. Plus, people always say vegans are unhealthy because they have less than "average" body mass. If "average" is a beer gut and McDonald's diet, I don't want to be average.

Mike

Never heard anything good for BMI. Basically, its a method made for people who do not practise sports where a certain bulk is requested.

And I think the heart can adapt fairly well to a change of body mass - I heard of people regenrating 75 percent of their heart that was dead tissue, getting it some stronger shouldnt be a worry. Interesting, though: do BBers and weightlifters usually suffer for heart disease?

Interesting, though: do BBers and weightlifters usually suffer for heart disease?

I think they do because of all the animals that go through their system.

I'm curious what the cholesterol numbers are for some of those guys.

Their arteries must be almost closed.

BMI is sometimes touted as a guideline for a healthy bodyweight but I'm not so sure it's realistic.

I've always played soccer and still do.

So I recently checked a bunch of English Premier League rosters for players the same height as me.

They were all in the 190 LB range.

So here we have some of the fittest athletes you will find who fit into BMI recommended weights.

(of course this isn't an upperbody intensive sport)

interesting....

BMI is only useful to insurance agencies who want to raise your rates on the premise of you being "obese" and therefore at a higher risk of health problems

I qualify as "morbidly obese" and am in the same category as a 400 lb. man who hasn't moved off the couch in years. To reach my ideal BMI to be considered "average", I'd have to drop so much weight I'd look anorexic (someday I'll post pics of when I was 190 lbs. for a brief spell so everyone can see just how bad it I looked while smaller )

BMI does NOT take into consideration that two people can have different frames, and that if you are a man with a slender frame, my height at 170 may look great, but for myself, I'd look like I was about to fall over dead from starvation. THAT is the biggest flaw, and since muscle does weigh more than fat, guess what happens when you're wide-framed AND have some good lean mass packed on to your body when you get put up against the BMI chart

Regarding the heart, it is, after all, a muscle and does have the ability to improve it's efficiency through training (I'd read years ago that olympic weightlifters had some of the most efficient hearts of all athletes). So, even if you are heavier, training can be beneficial to keep your heart healthy, possibly moreso than that of a lighter person who does not train at all.

I think the Body Mass Index is accurate for most people.

It won't work for somebody with above average muscle mass.

Also anybody who has lost significant muscle mass, usually the elderly.

I'm 5'10" and my lean weight should be in the 150 range.

That scores a 21.5 BMI which is right in the middle of "normal"

I hope to weigh more than 150 after I loose my excess fat.

If I have 25 pounds of muscle above the 150, I would be considered overweight.

If I put on 60 pounds of muscle then I would be considered obese.

Being considered obese with 6 pack abs would be cool.

BMI simply doesn't apply well to athletic people. The problem I see is that whenever there's a "BMI is a joke" discussion somewhere it's almost always accompanied by a slew of "you can be fat and healthy" cheers (not at all saying this was the OP's intention here, but I've seen this on other vegan boards).

While, yes, you can have fat on you and be healthy, the majority of BMI "obese" people *are* unhealthy. BMI isn't the end-all be-all indicator of health, but for the vast majority of inactive people, if the BMI number says you're fat, you're probably unhealthy.

I think in general it is reasonable. Unless its in the rare case that you actually are big boned(I rarely meet someone who claims they are and are telling the truth). Even if its mostly muscle your still better off being generally fit without a lot of muscle mass...at least in terms of health and longevity.

I hate BMI. According to it, I'm overweight. I'm not embarrassed to say I do have some excess fat, but overweight? No. BMI doesn't include anything besides your height, weight, and gender. There are so many kids that are my height (5'9") and weigh less than me JUST because of bone density/structure and muscle mass.

I just tested my BMI online and it says I'm overweight (I weigh about 180lbs). I know a kid (who I hate) who's about 6'1" and weighs 170lbs, but has so much less muscle than me and such a smaller bone structure it's not even funny, and has a belly, even though he's 6'1" and 170lbs! According to the BMI scale, he's normal weight. That would explain why people make fun of his body, but not mine...

I hate BMI

We probably all should be that weight...I'm the same height but around 195 without a lot of fat. I'd be better off with less muscle...overall its better for your body. As for bone mass and density...that weight really isn't all that different. For the average built person...bone makes up about 15% of your bodyweight. For two guys with a similar build...bone weight likely differs less than 3-4lbs at most...unless you have major bone density problems.

Most of those things are worthless...or way too expensive for a regular person to take part in. Basically your better off going by general bodyfat makeup, blood pressure, blood work, and resting heart rate.

We probably all should be that weight...I'm the same height but around 195 without a lot of fat. I'd be better off with less muscle...overall its better for your body. As for bone mass and density...that weight really isn't all that different. For the average built person...bone makes up about 15% of your bodyweight. For two guys with a similar build...bone weight likely differs less than 3-4lbs at most...unless you have major bone density problems.

I am about to agree with veganpotter!!!!!!!!!

(just kidding .... I think I agreed with him once before)

I think that seeing the weights of the top soccer players really got me thinking. Carrying around too much fat OR muscle mass can't be a healthy thing.

I think BMI is crap, but for the opposite reasons that have been stated. Well, at least as it applies to me personally.

My BMI is 17. That makes me underweight. However, I am an athlete; decently muscled and very fit. A few years ago my BMI was 21, which is supposed to be perfect. But I was very unhealthy and was carrying around a lot of excess fat.

So for ME, the "healthy" BMI ranges are too heavy for my body type. I think I must be really light boned. I'm very slight in my build. I am sure I can put on a bit more muscle, but only the very low end of the "healthy" range for my height will ever be attainable in a healthy way.

I guess I'm just an exception to the rule.