Sodium Intake

i've just recently been turned on to Vega Meal replacement..i got a couple samples in the mail...they taste a whole lot better than hemp protein powder alone and it has more protein per seving....my only concern is the amount of sodium it has, which I think may be a little too much (230 mg per serving)...most of the protein shakes i use are low in sodium (hemp, rice and even when was I was chugging down whey protein)....sodium is known to cause water retention that can make you look bigger, but it's more of a "soft" look, because it's just water underneath your skin...Now I've made great progress in my fitness regimen by lowering my salt, sugar and oil intake....i've managed to lose weight and i have a decent 6 pack..i dont want to gain weight or lose my 6 pack, but i do want to try another post work out shake besides hemp and rice protein...Vega taste great but I'm not sure if my concern about the sodium content is legit...am i going overboard with the "sodium phobia"? please help...and also, why did they add sodium chloride as an ingredient?

Vega isn't made specifically for people building muscle. Its designed to also be very useful for endurance athletes and endurance athletes do require more sodium than most...at the same time though...that isn't much sodium. It may be too much if you already eat too much but if you don't then it won't do any harm.

Vega also isn't made specifically for people who want to *look* lean, regardless of activities. Sucks that sodium might make you look "soft" but dehydration sucks more, and many people think the fluid retention property of sodium is beneficial for athletic performance.

thanks for the replies guys...so basically this Vega Product was not designed for people interested in building muscle...I was attracted to this product because it had a decent amount of protein and taste compared to manitoba harvest hemp protein alone which i'm drinking now after working out (less protein less sodium)...i was not looking to use Vega as my only source of protein ...i just wanted to replace it with what i'm using now after workouts...but you guys are saying this is not an ideal source of protein for bodybuilder to have after working out....any suggestions....

Sucks that sodium might make you look "soft" but dehydration sucks more, and many people think the fluid retention property of sodium is beneficial for athletic performance.

Why would it not be beneficial to a bodybuilder alex???? As chris stated, 'fluid retention' is beneficial for athletic performance.

Unless you are about to go up on stage and are sub 4% bodyfat and you want to make sure you are dehydrating properly by monitoring where and when your sodium intake is coming from for that day and every little thing shows, I just don't see the issue.

If anything, A protein source with a bit of sodium would do you good right before a workout to prevent catabolism 'breakdown of muscle tissue' as well as keep you hydrated, which is important or to rehydrate you after a workout, as you mentioned.

Anyways, 230mg is trivial, I wouldn't worry. Unless you just eat preservative laden foods, canned foods and frozen foods, then it won't hurt you and you should always get fresh whenever possible anyways.

I eat kelp and it has plenty of sodium and iodine but it doesn't mess with me when I am lean. The only thing that is going to cover your six pack is bodyfat and sodium is not going to add bf on.

It definitely won't keep you from gaining muscle...its just not marketed to bodybuilders. Also most protein powders are a base to be added too...VEGA needs nothing else.

The only time I've ever worried about sodium intake is pre-contest, just before competing.

I just don't worry about it. Vega is very well balanced and 230mg of sodium shouldn't be a problem. It is far less than many foods, including most processed foods. There is sodium all over the place but as long as we balance things out well (just as we do with good ratios of carbs fats and proteins, we should be fine).

Vega does help with the development of muscle and those "claims" will be on the NEW labels, coming out soon.

Anyway, don't worry about the water retention too much. Muscle is 70% water anyway, so we like water and most people aren't well hydrated anyway. I don't think it will make you look "soft." Brendan and I are both shredded all year round and we both take Vega all year round. He's more shredded than I am, but if I flex, I reveal that I am quite lean all year round.

All the best! Vega should be fine for you as well as other products and foods that contain sodium. Like anything else, don't over do it or under do it. Just do it.

Take care,

Rob