Muscle Memory Question.

Looking for any suggestions as to what's going on.

My legs have traditionally always been the strongest part of my body and my routines. I was always able to squat the most, deadlift the second most and then bench in comparison.

Since I have resumed training, muscle memory is kicking in but it is weird how certain parts and exercises are responding quicker while others are lagging.

For instance:

I am able to deadlift 245lbs on my 6th set for 8 reps very very easily whereas when I try to squat 195lb for 8 reps on my 6th set, it is a very challenging struggle. I am not doing these on the same day, there is rest in between. I have always been able to squat 50-100lbs more than I deadlift.

I am doing nothing differently than I have in the past.

Any insight on to why my body is taking shape this way?

This has nothing to do with my concept of "muscle memory". It's not like you can't snap into the form again, it's just that the strength isn't there.

EDIT: Sorry it looks like people do use this term in this way.

What have you been doing since you stopped training originally? I would think that a strong lower back is easier to maintain in daily life than some monster quads...

BTW is that right you used to always squat 50-100 lbs more than deadlift? I find that I put more weight on deadlifts than squats.

That's a tough one. Could it be that you're more confident with the deadlift than the squat because you don't have to worry about getting pinned if you miss a rep on the deadlift? That was always my prob. I'm sure I could squat more than I deadlift, but I've always been too paranoid to really go for it.

Also, the squat, to me, seems much more technical than the deadlift. Maybe you just need to get your form perfected again and your numbers in the squat will start rising.

By the way, great topics, man! I really enjoy these weight-lifting threads.

Mike

Squats are a pain in the butt to get the groove back after a long layoff. I'm sure you'll find them jump up again in the coming months, but getting started with them after a break is terrible.

I haven't done much in the way of squatting in quite a while since injuring my back last fall and having my eye surgeries, but the best way I found to regain form is to hammer home LOTS of sets with lower weight to get proper feeling back. I did 24 sets of 6 and 1 set of 10 with 225 - the first few felt weird, but let's say that by about set 15, the bar would drop perfectly into the groove from the start and I felt stronger after knocking out my 100th rep than on my 5th one. Practice, practice, practice that form until you find your groove again and it'll come back fast enough. It's easier to get the groove back on deadlifts for some reason - takes me about 3 sessions to find my proper positioning, but after a squat layoff, it can take me a couple of months for it to feel second nature and feel strong in it again.

Just keep at it, hammer out more light sets to get that form back and I bet you'll find things go your way soon enough!

Here's a few video clip links for inspiration:

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/videos/407x20.mpg

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/videos/sarge218lbsbw218lbsquatX98reps.wmv

What have you been doing since you stopped training originally? I would think that a strong lower back is easier to maintain in daily life than some monster quads...

BTW is that right you used to always squat 50-100 lbs more than deadlift? I find that I put more weight on deadlifts than squats.

for 8 months, I was basically dormant, not doing much of anything. I suppose the lower back would retain strength greater but I would just assume that everything loses strength in the same respect if you trigger nothing, dunno....

Yea, I used to always put up way more weight with squats. Even when the lifts got very heavy. Just the way i'm built.

Also, the squat, to me, seems much more technical than the deadlift. Maybe you just need to get your form perfected again and your numbers in the squat will start rising.

My form is pretty good but you definitely have a great point with the 'technical' aspect of it. Squats are much more involved. I just figured they'd come back quicker. I see your point.

It's easier to get the groove back on deadlifts for some reason - takes me about 3 sessions to find my proper positioning, but after a squat layoff, it can take me a couple of months for it to feel second nature and feel strong in it again.

I'm finding that the case also. The second I felt comfortable with deadlifts, the weight I could handle skyrocketed every session. Squats went up nicely too but nowhere near the way deadlifts did and they felt so tough. I guess i'm just noy used to struggling with small weight and it feels odd that on the deadlifts it's no prob. What you makes sense, though. Thank you.

I've seen some wacko stuff on pullup bars but i've actually never seen the clapping at the top of the pullups. That's amazing! I want to be able to do those. The squat performance is beautiful also. Makes me want to get my inzer knee wraps and chalk out but it wouldn't make any sense just yet . All in good time.

I've been looking through your blog. I have to pm you about your routine when i get a chanc e. I've never attempted something like it and it looks like a good way to switch things up, good stuff.....

thank you all!

I think you've probably lost a lot of your stabilizer muscle strength. I doubt I can squat 300lbs now(in fact I know I can't) but I'm sure I can dead lift 300lbs...it doesn't take as much balance. Although before...my squat max was always 50lbs heavier than my squat max.

Trained Lower Back today..

I cannot believe that I am actually able to perform Good Mornings at the same weight I can do squats with. Very aggravating. I guess I should just be a little patient for higher weight with squatting.

Potter or whomever, any good exercise you would recommend stabilizer strength that would help my squats go up and get moving??

Wall sits with varying foot placements will help...especially if done with weights. One legged swats will help as well as lunges with weights. One legged leg presses should help too.

If you feel comfortable with your form, you could always do a Smolov squat cycle. That depends how important your squat numbers are to you, since Smolov really minimizes how much training you can do for the rest of your body. There are a few other squat-specific cycles you could try as well that take about two months.

Again, it depends if a significant increase in your squat is worth taking a break from training other body parts.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I have not see mentioned yet...you are currently playing quite a bit of raquetball and running, were you participating in these before... when your squats were heavier? Both could result in tight hip flexor muscles which might also interfer with your squat numbers. It might not hurt to throw in some stretching exersices for them to ensure they stay flexible.

I was also doing much running and racquetball when my numbers were big. What I was doing more than anything for cardio during that time was actually Handball, which is probably just as bad.

But you raise a good point. Stretching and flexibility have always been by far my weakest aspect of training. I never ever want to stretch; I find it so boring for the amount of time it consumes. I wish I felt otherwise; it is so obviously beneficial and I know it is such a bas thing that I never stretch. Whenever I have to wait for a squat rack and I stretch out my legs, even right then and there squats feel better and easier to perform....

I truly want to take your advice and stretch I just have such an issue in occupying my time stretching. It feels good but bores me to do it. I will admit though, whenever I use the foam roller for myofascial tissue release, it just feels so amazing. The moans that I let out, people stare at me like either what the hell is he doing or ahhh yea I know that feeling.

Do you have any down time to read or watch TV??? Thats a great time to stretch. Outside of that you really should stretch. Its not as big of a waste of time as healing from a separated muscle or ligament.