General Bicyclist Topic

Dr. Pink

I have a question for you VP, so i moved into a duplex during the winter, but once the snow melted i noticed a bike outback, I asked the owner if i could have it and they said yes the last tennent left it, is this a good bike, it seems pretty nice truth be told but needs a bit of work.

the frame says high tensile steel the brake system says dekra linear pull brakes.

the front and back are different colors which i thought weird the back being a 21 speed setting. there are two stickers on it that say verve and vertical. then it says it is a custom shimano integration. I am unsure how to tell who made it, as it seems that its a hodgepodge bike. The frame is unusual the seat and the bar leading to the frame doesnt quite connect with the rest of the frame. there is also a coil along the middle section.

Any idea what this kinda bike is worth?

I was thinking about repairing it and selling it. but a fixed gear bike and paying some bills with the rest. but if its not worth much ill just fix it up and go from there.

Can you take a picture??? Its hard to make out.

I will try to take one this weekend. I used a universal adapter as a battery source for my digital camera. Lets just say after a loud flash/bang and smoke i no longer have that camera. My friend is visiting this weekend ill ask her to take a picture to post. thanks for the help VP

Your due for a new one then...I paid $500 for my 4mp camera about 6 years ago...its big and great for taking all kinds of photos(its similar to a film camera with removable lenses but mine is fixed)...now I can get an 8mp camera for a little over half the price that fits in my pocket...so I'm in need of a new one too. Breaking things is a good way to keep up with technology...same with bikes.

Your due for a new one then...I paid $500 for my 4mp camera about 6 years ago...its big and great for taking all kinds of photos(its similar to a film camera with removable lenses but mine is fixed)...now I can get an 8mp camera for a little over half the price that fits in my pocket...so I'm in need of a new one too. Breaking things is a good way to keep up with technology...same with bikes.

I can agree with you but i am also frugal and believe in the gift economy, so when my friends want to throw there expensive cameras away for new ones i swoop in, and they in return get my unbridled optimism about life. a fair trade if i do say so myself i didn't get a chance to take a picture of the bike but i made a little drawing lol. ill post it later.

Maybe you can get a bike that way too???

I actually am. I am volunteering at the SLC bike collective and they are teaching me how to be a bike engineer so i can work hours helping kids and adults fix there bike for a bike in return. I gain a valuable skill and a bike i think thats awesome.

Is this something you think you want to do??? I'd love to be a wheel builder but it would take too much time away from making pots.

I'm getting excited about riding to work again. The weather is getting nicer and the snow is starting to melt

(now all I have to do is get my brakes fixed.... the one I tore off the bike in my ill-fated duck watching accident last fall)

Is this something you think you want to do??? I'd love to be a wheel builder but it would take too much time away from making pots.

It is something that i am interested in. Also i only volunteer for 2-4 hours a week so no big deal. Its time i lived my morals instead of talked about them.

• 2 weeks later...

congratulations! bikes are awesome.

So i started volunteering for the bicycle collective and it was amazingly fun in a sadistic i dont know what the hell im doing kind of way. I have never really worked with my hands before so this was something that was new and exciting for me. We focused on stripping old childrens bikes and repairing them to give to charity. I felt accomplished when i leave. Next week im bringing in my bike to fix on the non volunteer open community shop days.

I've started Spray Painting my Bike. Too bad the can my neighbor let me use only did it 75 percent of the way. So I asked my mom to see how much a can was when she went to Target.

After the first coat settles I'm going to add decals. Red flames and the words TJK. ( TJK being my new internet user name everywhere else but here and also the name I will use when I become famus )