Tight throat

Anyone ever get this? I thought I was catching something. I've had this tightness in my throat for 2 weeks now - almost suffocating. It feels like a giant lump in my airway. It gets really bad at times, and I feel like I can't catch my breath.

It finally went away a couple days ago, and just then returned tonight after a chest workout. Im wondering if it has someting to do with my breathing when im benching.

If it's in your throat then I would be highly suspicious of an allergic reaction - this could be life-threatening when it cause constriction in your throat as it could lead to anaphylaxis and death without treatment!

If it's related to physical exertion and is actually occurring in your bronchioles (further into your lungs) then I would be highly suspicious of exercise-induced asthma. This is diagnosed by a doctor and easily treated with a bronchodilator (inhaler).

I hope you find the cause soon.

I couldn't connect to that link. Looking at this name of the link, I assume it has something to do with your vocal cords? Maybe you are pulling some throat muscles while lifting? This is much better than what I described! However, you might want to change the way you're breathing to avoid an injury.

I couldn't connect to that link. Looking at this name of the link, I assume it has something to do with your vocal cords? Maybe you are pulling some throat muscles while lifting? This is much better than what I described! However, you might want to change the way you're breathing to avoid an injury.

Cricopharyngeal spasm

Information for patients with a lump in the throat sensation

This syndrome results from a spasm in the cricopharyngeus muscle. It is a self limiting disorder that will resolve on its own.

Symptoms

* Lump in the throat sensation

* feels like a golf ball, tennis ball, fur ball... is stuck in my throat

* feels like my tie is too tight

* feel like I am being strangled

* my throat feels swollen

* The symptoms can be mimicked by pushing on the cartilage in the neck just below the Adams apple.

* The lump comes and goes depending on the day.

* Symptoms are usually best in the AM and worse later in the day

* Stress aggravates the symptoms.

* Saliva is difficult to swallow yet food is easy to swallow.

* Eating, in fact, often makes the tightness go away for a time.

* The symptoms are similar to getting choked up at a wedding or a funeral.

• 4 weeks later...

Whoa! That's what I had....17 years ago.

I was going to suggest that it's muscle tension from stress. Then I read that site. I'm glad they connect it with stress, because that's what caused it for me. But it took 5 years to realize that. During the 5 years, the tension would move to different areas(shoulder, back, legs, ankles). I came across the book "Type A personality" and it all clicked into place: anxiety, time pressure, multi-tasking, were the cause of 5 years of pain.

My throat only had a choking feeling when I swallowed, althogh eating "loosened" it up.

I didn't know there was a name for this. I think it's all stress(a clue is that the severity changes - as your stress will change through the day or week)

I have a handle on this now because I've become an expert in stress relief, and controling my Type A personality.

Whoa! That's what I had....17 years ago.

I was going to suggest that it's muscle tension from stress. Then I read that site. I'm glad they connect it with stress, because that's what caused it for me. But it took 5 years to realize that. During the 5 years, the tension would move to different areas(shoulder, back, legs, ankles). I came across the book "Type A personality" and it all clicked into place: anxiety, time pressure, multi-tasking, were the cause of 5 years of pain.

My throat only had a choking feeling when I swallowed, althogh eating "loosened" it up.

I didn't know there was a name for this. I think it's all stress(a clue is that the severity changes - as your stress will change through the day or week)

I have a handle on this now because I've become an expert in stress relief, and controling my Type A personality.

I was at the doctor the other day to figure this out. He seems to think it's acid reflux. I had reflux years, and years ago. When I was youngster. Which I acredit all the junk food, and loads of pop I was devouring at the time.

What I've been experiencing lately is completely different. I don't get the burning or upset stomach feeling. Which apparently you can still be refluxing without those symptoms.

I go back in a few weeks for a barium swallow, and some other tests. In the meantime he put me on nexium once a day for a month. It seems to be working already. But, it's really tearing my stomach up. Which he said it might. The nexium is supposed to control the acid, and give my esophagus some time to heal.

I've also been chewing on candied ginger after a meal. That also seems to be helping.

I was going to bring up doctors. I went to one for this in '93. Most doctors never consider stress. Some actually think (or want to think) that the mind and body aren't connected....duh, they're connected! - in every sense of the word. So, the doctor mis-diagnosed me(actually didn't find anything wrong), yet gave me drugs I didn't need(I didn't have a medical condition), and wasted money. It was upsetting to.

One technique for loosening muscles is to tense them for 5 seconds and relax them for 15. When you bench press, you may be tensing them a long time(straining them). And you may not completely relax after. Laying on my back kept my throat in pain; Laying on my side was much better. Also, stretch the throat by tilting the head back.

Another thing that relaxes the throat: talking, or yelling(or singing loudly with the stereo up high). - Great stress relever. I do this every day for my tension. Tension is just built up adrenaline/energy that isn't let out. You gotta let it out.