Emerging from Houston...

Dave vs. Robzilla

I'm just in the middle of checking your photo's out from your myspace.

Where were you vacationing?

About half of those nature photos were taken during a trip to Costa Rica a couple of years ago. It was a lot of fun, and I got to see a ton of interesting animals.

Richard, I'm sure we'd have a lot to talk about! I could probably help you find some stuff you'd like, that's perhaps heavier / more riff-oriented. Maybe you'd like Bulb:

Or Trace Bundy, the "Acoustic Ninja":

That bulb video isn't my kind of thing, I think I prefer more conventionally structured stuff. I am not really into acoustic much, but that track by Trace Bundy was quite nice - as it has no whiny lyrics ruining it. I found it rather unnecessary that he does most of it with the fret hand. Obviously that is technically very impressive, but it winds me up as it serves no purpose to the music, it's just a way to show off as far as I can see! Like playing an entire song behind your head - it adds nothing to the song, just makes people aware that you are able to do it. They're both really good guitarists though

Actually it's not for show - the melodies are meant to be played in a smooth flowing "legato" style that would not be possible if he were to fingerpick it all. On top of that, were he to try and pick the melody instead of playing it with hammer-on's and pull-off's, he would be screwed in the bassline department. Using his picking hand to hammer-on the bass notes allows him a greater range of notes to choose from when constructing the progression, because he's no longer limited by the reach of his fingers. Plus it frees up his fretting hand to focus on the melodies instead of trying to play a walking bassline at the same time. Having his picking hand more readily available also allows him to add the percussive elements to the song.

I just watched it again, I stand corrected there really isn't another way to play that song (apart from the intro of course). I think it'd be more pronounced on two guitars, so that there could be picking, each note would be stronger

• 1 year later...