Politics of Bodybuilding...

Yes, 2 weeks before the show I was 212 pounds, but When they saw me Weider said that I cannot compete, so 12 days before the show, I stoped training and dieting, I lost 12 pounds, it is in this kind of shape that you saw me me in pumping iron. It was tricks of Weider, it is why I left IFBB.

Serge Nubret posts on bodybuilding.com forums...I ran across this post. Just goes to show that even from the beginning, it's all politics.

Serge Nubret posts on bodybuilding.com forums...I ran across this post. Just goes to show that even from the beginning, it's all politics

I listened to his interview on PBBW, and although I like and respect Serge Nubret and think he looked amazing, that sounded to me like a bit of an excuse.

Of course, I'm not saying that politics doesn't take a significant part in bodybuilding, but in that particular case (he was refering to the 1975 Mr Olympia, correct?) I think Arnold won for sure, in my opinion.

Sounds like an excuse to me too. Dieting is part of the job and he didn't want to do that. Its not like its a public competition where anyone can run...you've gotta fit the bill.

I have been a big fan of Serge's for quite a while. There was a bit of politics going on. During the filming of "Pumping Iron" They filmed Mike Katz, Franco Columbu, Arnie, Lou Ferrigno, and Serge Nubret. They offered Serge like $200 to use the footage they shot in France. He took it as an insult since he had already been in a few movies and had some family money also. He did not give permission except for the public viewing in the waiting areas to go onstage in Africa. So, it is very possible that there was some animosity going around. Even in "Pumping Iron" they say it was a surprise entrance of Serge Nubret to compete.... but in reality they had shot hours of him already.

This is pretty much what Serge has said about it all, so take it or leave it

I have been a big fan of Serge's for quite a while. There was a bit of politics going on. During the filming of "Pumping Iron" They filmed Mike Katz, Franco Columbu, Arnie, Lou Ferrigno, and Serge Nubret. They offered Serge like $200 to use the footage they shot in France. He took it as an insult since he had already been in a few movies and had some family money also. He did not give permission except for the public viewing in the waiting areas to go onstage in Africa. So, it is very possible that there was some animosity going around. Even in "Pumping Iron" they say it was a surprise entrance of Serge Nubret to compete.... but in reality they had shot hours of him already.

This is pretty much what Serge has said about it all, so take it or leave it

True.

I'm a bit skeptical of it, but it's not the first time I've heard of things like this.

The word "politics" just seems to be a blanket word that everyone uses and throws around.

Can someone actually describe it in detail?

I've used it too "The IFBB is just politics, they pick their champions, blah blah blah" but I don't even know what I mean when I say that.

Of course we know, it's not "ALL" anything. But I'd love to hear what "politics" in bodybuilding means.

Does it have to do with politicians? Supplement companies? Organizers? Athletes? Fundraisers? Outside interests? Media?

We can't just say "politics" and expect it to be clear.

I've been following the IFBB for nearly 10 years and still don't know what all the political explanations are referring to, though I've seen what appears to be unjust placings in many contests.

It has to do with money and special interests.

In the case of American politicians, it's big oil, big pharma, and others.

In the case of bodybuilding, it's good ole extreme whey (ie. supplement companies).

I agree with this.

Also, politics in bodybuilding could be seen as who would be the best "yes man". Who would promote certain ideals. I'm sure in the 70s and earlier, there were race issues also. Even though, I have heard, that bodybuilding was better than alot of sports with race issues. I'm thinking I'll use other words next time besides politics, maybe: ideal promotion, image promotion, or subservitude to the dollar are all good descriptions. These issues infiltrate everything, not just bodybuilding, and nothing is immune. I guess I use politics like "weed eater" I have a grass trimmer I call a weed eater, it isn't a weed eater brand but it's just what I call it and most people seem to know what I am communicating.

I think in some ways tradition can be seen as politics when it comes to bodybuilding. Ronnie won a few times when he obviously shouldn't have...because people were stuck. Thats part of the reason why Bush is still in...its tradition to not change presidents during war...if he was just a little less sucky he could probably come close to winning another election if he were allowed to run again.

Thats part of the reason why Bush is still in...its tradition to not change presidents during war...if he was just a little less sucky he could probably come close to winning another election if he were allowed to run again.

I think he should just run again, even though he's already served two terms. Why start worrying about the constitution now??

As far as politics in bodybuilding, if you want to know the reason why something is the way it is, just follow the money trail.

Mike

I don't know about the money trail in this case. I think bodybuilding was somewhat financially hurt by Ronnie winning so many times. There was no drama..and drama means money. I bet the Federation would have made more money if Ronnie had a few second place finishes mixed in with his titles.

The word "politics" just seems to be a blanket word that everyone uses and throws around.

Can someone actually describe it in detail?

Politics is defined as the decisive factor that contributed to you getting 2nd place or below. When you win, it's because you brought a lot of things to the table that the competition didn't. When you lose, it's because the judges are corrupt and blind.

Seriously though, as just a general bodybuilding fan, it seems to me that for the vast majority of contests, the winner is the person who deserved to win, or at the very least, you can understand why some people might have thought the person deserved to win.

Ronnie won at least 2 when he shouldn't have

I think your right. A lot of people think Dorian had two or three wins that shouldn't have been. And then there was Arnold in 1980, when he was a shadow of his former self. But does politics always explain it? I think it almost certainly does in 1980, but even then, it was very unclear who was in 2nd-5th place (lots of other good guys , with very different styles).

I mean, if it's purely about money, were Dorian and Ronnie really the best possible people to promote the sport for years of uninterupted Olympia reign? Did they connect with the widest possible amount of people? Why wouldn't changing the Olypmia winners every year and having really competitive contests be better for the sport, purely for a money point of view? I don't know...

I don't think the judges are all about money...they're delusional...the same way all those cookoo people are that voted for Bush the second time around.

I like Bill's take on this subject, but I also like Potter's political stabs . When I made the comment about following the money trail, what I meant to say was that, if politics are involved, most likely these politics are in some way influenced by financial interests. That doesn't mean that politics are necessarily involved at all.

In various sports and in other aspects of life, it seems that a lot of people automatically cry "politics" or "no fair," if they lose or don't succeed. They don't take reponsibility for the fact that maybe they just plain weren't as good as the competition. If these same people would have won, they would not be crying "politics" or "no fair" on behalf of those they defeated. They would be taking credit for their accomplishment. You can't have it both ways.

When visual judgment is involved...politics is always a problem. Its quite obvious in sports like gymnastics, and figure skating. Its really only something you can rule out in sports like track and field, and any other timed event...even weight lifting is somewhat political. Many athletes have won Gold Medals in the Olympic lifts with being short of completing lifts...while others have had complete lifts disqualified...sports like this are a mess and fairness is rare unless a winner is extremely obvious.

Sprints can be seen as the same...I'd like to think throwing would be put under that category but I've seen too many throwers get away with throws that should have counted as fouls...a few times the officials were related to the athlete.