Spirulina

Sorry, I am atrocious at math. How well does the protein profile of spirulina complement that of legumes in general? I am thinking about starting back with hemp again when I start working my new job in the fall because I want a whole food protein which will complement all the legumes I eat well.

Yeah, true. For the most part, they are high in lysine and low in methionine. I looked into it and found that spirulina is low in lysine and higher in methionine, so they should work pretty decent. Some of the other amino acids might not balance perfectly, but having a food high in methionine when consuming legumes is the most important. I think I am going to buy that hemp flour I was talking about on another thread for now and maybe snag a little spirulina to complement some shakes, but not as a primary protein source.

• 3 weeks later...

So I just finished my first green (now extremely green) Kale/Chia/Ezekiel/Spirulina smoothie. I think I added a bit too much although I didn't mind the taste, a bit different. I think I added something like 62 grams. Next smoothie has the same amount but flax instead of chia. Roughly 120 grams for my first day.

Almost done with #2 and I can say that I have waaaaay too much spirulina running through my body right now. I'm having a bit of diffculty getting this one down. The first one sat in my stomach and seemed to take quite awhile to digest. Reduction per smooth is necessary. 60 grams per smooth is indeed too much. I'm cutting it in half tomorrow.

Nice Troy. Yeh, it takes a little bit to for your body to adapt to large amounts of spirulina intake. I always tell anyone who is taking it for the first time to start off with no more than 10 grams and increase slowly otherwise they won't feel so good with their digestion. Also, 60gms might be ok with just water but once you start mixing it with other things, then it can start to disturb you internally. Glad to see you have purchased some and using it!

I don't think you can make a darker green shake than a algae one

Pee U. My pee smelled like Spirulina yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm going to mix it into anything anymore. I think I might just throw it down after I finish a smoothie. The taste is really strong.

I premixed some spirulina before work today, mixed it with cold filtered water, and kept it on ice. It sat for about 8 hours today, I opened it up and drank it but it smelled like rotten eggs. Seriously, rotten eggs. Are you not suppose to let it sit? I thought it would be ok since I had it on ice the whole time but maybe I shouldn't of even drank it. Let me know...

ohhhh nonono. Drink it up right away. Letting it sit is a bad idea. Make sure that you don't wash out the container as well because heaven forbid if you don't get a chance to wash it out and it sits overnight in the sink, the smell is abhorring the next day.

Not certain why that smell happens but it certainly isn't pleasant.

I guess you premix it because you don't want green all over the place or to bring a container with you right? Try to find a way around it like a small container and be careful when scooping.

Another word of advice, I always put some water on the bottom of the shaker bottle before I put the spirulina in the shaker. It tends to stick and clump all at the bottom if you don't do that and then it's wasted b/c it doesn't mix when you put more water in after the first shake.

Little base of water, spirulina, water to the top, then close lid and shake.

let me know if you have any other quests.

Spirulina pee??? lol, I get spirulina #2 smells but I can't recall pee