Peanut butter before bed?

I've been reading about eating peanut butter before bed and I can't come to any conclusions. I've heard fellow athletes say to eat peanut butter before bed to gain quick weight but I've read that its good for cutting weight as well. Any insight

PS- from fellow athletes its was a pbj sandwich, I suppose the sugar would be a huge factor.

I always have some fats with a high protein and fiber meal before bed in order for my body to have something to work with as deep into the night as possible. Having your fat as a PB&J might not be that good of an idea because of the high carbs, especially the sugar.

there is surely many other foods better for cutting than peanut butter before bed... therefore it's more for gaining mass.

For cutting, the only good point about peanut butter is when you take it in the beginning of the day, you won't be hungry again until many hours later.

It always did the trick for me. It wasn't uncommon for me to eat a whole jar of prunes dipped into a whole jar of peanut butter before bed...or 2-3 thickly packed PB&J sandwiches. As for it working for cutting...now way...unless you eat very little and use that as a filler...wrestlers eat peanuts to cut weight but they don't eat much of it or much of anything else while doing it.

tvp with veggies before bed, always and forever.

according to some studies i've read about carbs right before night time are really bad for both growing and cutting. something to do with growth hormones. however I also think you can find waaaaayyy better food than PB for cutting.

Put the PB in your mouth, then spit it out again. Do the same with chocolate, no calories!

I dunno Richard, some of it is bound to get caught up in saliva and make it's way into your system. Perhaps if you dry air chew for the next two hours or so afterwards, you can burn those calories and then some from all the jaw exercising.

Dry chewing at the dinner table while everyone else is eating, dry chewing while walking, in the shower (but make sure not to swallow any shampoo or soap!), etc, etc....

Put the PB in your mouth, then spit it out again. Do the same with chocolate, no calories!

I dunno Richard, some of it is bound to get caught up in saliva and make it's way into your system. Perhaps if you dry air chew for the next two hours or so afterwards, you can burn those calories and then some from all the jaw exercising.

Dry chewing at the dinner table while everyone else is eating, dry chewing while walking, in the shower (but make sure not to swallow any shampoo or soap!), etc, etc....

Now THAT is a cardio program.

just my two cents, but all winter I was cutting and my meal right before bed ALWAYS consisted of soy protein pudding and 2 TB of almond butter. Did i gain weight doing this? NO, I actaully dropped bodyfat. I believe the bottom line is, it does not matter what you eat before bed. It all comes down to calories in calories out in order to bulk.

just my two cents, but all winter I was cutting and my meal right before bed ALWAYS consisted of soy protein pudding and 2 TB of almond butter. Did i gain weight doing this? NO, I actaully dropped bodyfat. I believe the bottom line is, it does not matter what you eat before bed. It all comes down to calories in calories out in order to bulk.

Of course, but if we try to find what is the best food before bed, there's better choices than peanut butter I think.

Best food for cutting wwould be NO food. This is gonna burn more fat, and I don't think it's gonna burn muscles if we get enough proteins throughout the day. If yes, we could alway take some amino acids pill or powder, 0 calories. Or eat a protein meal like xjohanx said "tvp with veggies" .

Peanut butter, all fats and carbs are energetic foods.

In my mind, carbs and fats are to boost energy, and proteins have a building utility.

The body doesn't need energy just to sleep. The body wants to repair and reconstruct itself during sleep, which proteins are good for.

I think there are benefits though. Of course eating nothing is better but if eating a small, high calorie food before bed keeps you from eating a lot more in the morning that can be good.