Vitamin D and muscles?

I don't know why, but I always feel like my muscles swell a bit after I've been in the sun for a good 10-15 minutes straight. I also feel stronger and more energized.

I tried flying, but alas, I am not Birdman. But the muscle thing still puzzles me.

Anybody have any answers as to why this is?[/u]

Have you actually tried measuring...I bet its perceived growth through the energy you gain. UV light does brighten the mood of many and can make you feel stronger.

I haven't measured, but I know that I feel more energetic, pumped, my shirts feel tighter, and it's something I can see in the mirror, too.

I realized it over the past few days because the sun has been out, and I opted to do pushups outside this morning instead of doing my usual bench routine at the gym--where I would be out of the sun.

I got some good results from doing my workout outside, surprisingly.

Pretty much everyone has more energy in the summer...there are even people that go through depression exclusively in the winter. I bet the sun just wakes you up a lot more than most and that may allow you to get a better pump on sunny days thanks to more motivation.

Heat expands gases considerably. Our body is mostly water and water doesn't really expand to a point a human would ever notice.

There is no immediate increase in vitamin D levels within 10-15 minutes of sun exposure to explain the appearance of muscle swelling. I find the title of this thread to be a bit confusing as no one has mentioned vitamin D as yet. Anyway.......

When you go out in sunlight, if there is also an increase in temperature then your veins close to the skin surface will dilate, bringing more blood (volume) to the periphery of your body. This can certainly give the appearance of muscle swelling.

Heat expands gases considerably. Our body is mostly water and water doesn't really expand to a point a human would ever notice.

of course it would not expand the water. but the layer that one would notice is the epidermis which will expand if heated up.

I liked what DV said as well.

We're talking about vasodialation. You aren't really getting bigger unless you measure the circumference of your body expanding due to veins...nobody's gonna gain significant mass from swelling veins...they just think they look like they are.

We're talking about vasodialation. You aren't really getting bigger unless you measure the circumference of your body expanding due to veins...nobody's gonna gain significant mass from swelling veins...they just think they look like they are.

lets do experiential instead of just hypothesis. I actually am bigger after a hot shower than a cold shower. the cold makes my outter skin layer contract while the heat makes it expand. i notice this every morning while trying on clothes for work.

You're talking pores mostly...this is a very small change...unless of course you soak so long in the water and shrivel.

You're talking pores mostly...this is a very small change...unless of course you soak so long in the water and shrivel.

I love how your arguing against what i notice in myself. I can understand if perhaps you were a scientist and you broke down a statistical model of how men often think do to heat that they have expanded there size but in reality do to correlary evidence that is not true, instead of arguing that what i notice is false. I am not saying after a 5 minute shower i am the hulk. I am saying i notice a size difference and it is reflected in how my clothing fits. it also goes away within 5-10 minutes as well. I do not think it can be attributed to the absorption of water through pores as my showers are 5 minutes long or so.

All that i am saying is that do to increased blood flow and oxygen in a region indeed it gives the feeling and appearance of expanded muscle mass. I love you to death potter your one of my favorite people on here but this matter of fact tone about this subject wont fly with me because i have noticed and rationalized the reasons.

Anywho woot wooters.

I'm not arguing about things you notice...I'm arguing reality. Its like taking creatine. You can put in 15lbs in a month...a lot of people think its muscle but it isn't. Our bodies appear to do many things that they really aren't doing. Our minds control a lot of that. As for the pores its not size from absorption. Its size from opening and closing. Even a spa worker would tell you that. They wash your skin first with warm water to open your pours and cleans your skin...at the end of a facial they splash you with cold water to tighten them.

dude thats it next time i got a date im doing hot compresses so my pores make me look buff. lol. anywho i think that we are arguing separate things. i just said i notice a difference you are saying what that difference i am noticing is.

complimentary.

now lets go get a soy icecream cake!