Beta Alanine

I saw Johan mention this a couple of times, and saw that John Berardi recommends it, so I decided to look into the research. It looks like some fairly substantiated stuff. Many studies combine it with creatine in the experimental group, but even so, it has shown better results than one of the controls, which only used creatine.

So, does anyone use it for lifting? I know it is also an endurance/cardio supplement, but I am most curious about it in regards to lifting. I did a search, and found several users who said they were about to try it, but now one who had yet. I bet some have tried it by now.

I use it of course. One of the few supps that actually works according to science. 6 grams per day, not just training days.
Do you spread it out into a lot of small doses or just do two 3g doses? I was looking at some paper (not in front if me right now) showing the timing of the dosing didn't matter. I'm wondering from a preference point of view if you spread it out to minimize the tingling.

I'm hardcore, so often I take 6 grams straight up.

The thing is I use a pre-workout products with caffeine, beta-alanine, creatine and a bunch of crappy stuff that doesn't really benefit me at all. And one serving is 6 grams.

On non-training days I might spread the dosage out because I use pure beta-alanine. The tingling doesn't really bother me. In the gym it sikes me up.

There is studies that show no significant difference but often they've measured ba supplementations influence on stuff that you wouldn't even think ba could effect, so kinda pointless. It seems to be backed hard.

And yeah you're right on the creatine and beta-alanine, you just have to add caffeine because it's backed pretty hard by science too.

Then of course there's protein powders, bcaa and eaa where the last two seems to be the best. Protein powder is so 2005.

The fact that it tingles kind of freaks me out, though.
The tingle itself isn't bad, but it's freaky that it actually happens. Guess I had my expectations set by nitric oxide supplements. I upped my dose to 2g this morning and I'm feeling it right now, it's really not that uncomfortable.

Forgot about caffeine. That too.

I agree, I've looked into a few studies on EAAs or BCAAs, and they seem to actually have some backing.

Yeah, I mean protein powders, specially whey, has some qualities that whole foods doesn't have but otherwise I think it is inferior in every aspect. However, adding BCAA or EAA to a otherwise great diet will still have great affects that whole foods don't have.

I do not understand many people on here that take protein powders, vega and other expensive stuff as a pre and/or post workout shake when there's tons of BCAA out there and it's proven to be better. I don't think EAA is very easy to find in the states though

I do not understand many people on here that take protein powders, vega and other expensive stuff as a pre and/or post workout shake when there's tons of BCAA out there and it's proven to be better. I don't think EAA is very easy to find in the states though
Old habits die hard? I've been using BCAAs during my workout which seem to be working.

Still do the protein shakes... do you have any studies handy that discuss BCAA/EAA dosing and effectiveness? (If you've discussed this already, what thread?) Protein supplementation does work, I'd (genuinely) like to know if and how BCAAs can completely take their place.

If I were to target 25g of protein per meal/shake, how much BCAA would be equivalent. Or is that the wrong model of thinking?

I should be able to find some later. The dosage isn't really clear though. Maximal actue protein synthetis seems to occur from around 6-10 grams of EAA if I remember correctly.

Regarding BCAA and/or EAA vs protein you can't really compare the two when it comes to regular meals I think. Non essential amino acids does not affect acute protein synthetis (which is the "goal" when taking supplements around training) but they have an effect on NO balance and of course on other important physiological functions.

When talking about BCAA instead of protein powder around training here is a great study done on 28 grams of whey vs 14 grams of bcaa (they also had a carb group but who gives a shit). Guess who comes out as the winner

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-6-S1-P1.pdf

Background: A randomized, double-blind study was performed to evaluate the efficacy of consuming a supplement containing branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) during an eight-week resistance-training program.

Methods: Thirty-six strength-trained males with a minimum of two years resistance-training experience (25.5 yrs, 177.7 cm, 85.2 kg and 9.3% body fat) were randomly assigned to receive either 14 grams of BCAAs (n = 12), 28 grams of whey protein (n = 12), or 28 grams of carbohydrates from a sports drink (n = 12) while performing an eight-week resistance-training program. Participants followed a periodized, whole-body training program that involved training all major muscle groups once per week using a four-day training split. Subjects body weight, body composition, and 10-rep max on the bench press and squat were determined before and after the eight-week training program. Subjects followed a standardized diet while following the program.

Results:All groups had a 100% compliance with the study protocol. The BCAA group experienced a significantly greater gain in body weight than the whey group (2 ± 1 kg vs. 1 ± 1 kg; p < 0.02) and the carbohydrate group (2 ± 1 kg vs. 1 ± 1 kg; p < 0.01). For lean mass, the BCAA group gained significantly greater lean mass than the whey group (4 ± 1 kg vs. 2 ± 1 kg; p < 0.01) and the carbohydrate group (4 ± 1 kg vs. 1 ± 1 kg; p < 0.01). The whey group also gained significantly more lean mass than the carbohydrate group (2 ± 1 kg vs. 1 ± 1 kg; p < 0.02). BCAA group decreased their percent body fat significantly more than the whey group (2 ± 1% vs. 1 ± 1%; p = 0.039) and the carbohydrate group (2 ± 1% vs. 1 ± 1%; p < 0.01). Muscular strength was significantly greater in the BCAA group on the 10-RM bench press than the whey group (6 ± 3 kg vs. 3 ± 2 kg; p < 0.01) and the carbohydrate group (6 ± 3 kg vs. 2 ± 2 kg; p < 0.01). For the squat, the BCAA group gained significantly more strength on their 10-RM than the whey group (11 ± 5 kg vs. 5 ± 3 kg; p < 0.01) and the carbohydrate group (11 ± 5 kg vs. 3 ± 2 kg; p < 0.01).

Conclusion: Ingestion of a supplement containing BCAAs while following an 8-week resistance training program resulted in a greater decrease in percent body fat, an increase in lean mass, and 10-RM strength gains on the bench press and squat vs. ingestion of a whey supplement or a sports drink. In addition, the ingestion of a whey protein supplement resulted in greater lean mass gains than ingestion of a sports drink.

As you see I highlited the most important parts.

I will find some cool EAA studies. Can you guys buy EAA over there?

Thanks for the study.

I will find some cool EAA studies. Can you guys buy EAA over there?
Yeah but it's not cheap. Soy, pea, and rice protein range $5-6 per pound. Compared to:

2:1:1 BCAA $19/lb

4:1:1 BCAA $16/lb

EAA $22.50/lb

So... 3-4x the price by weight. Obviously you don't use the same quantity, so the question is what's better, 1 lb BCAA or 3 lbs protein?

The BCAA or EAA is def worth the money. And I would probably always choose the free form amino acids. It's clinically proven to be more effective. Pea and rice protein are slow digesting proteins if I remember correctly and they have little effect on acute protein synthetis.

Caffeine improves mainly results in endurance sports but has also proven to affect some anaerobic excersise results in a positive way.

Caffeine increases both lipolysis and energy expenditure when resting and training (mainly endurance sports or walking).

Well I'm definitely noticing a difference already. I have noticeably more endurance during my workouts... going into the fourth exercise feels like I'm going into the second. I'm no long destroyed half way through, yet I'm still making decent gains.

I was actually starting to plateau before this, so it's pretty good to see gains again. It's hard to tell if this is from the BA though.

The tingling is also significantly reduced now. I didn't even feel it this morning. I'm taking 3g in the morning and 3g before my workout in the afternoon.

I took 3g on an empty stomach the first time I took it a couple days ago. I tingled so badly, like all my limbs fell asleep. The next time, I took 2g, and barely tingled. I just took 3g again this morning, on an empty stomach, and the tingling is rather mild, unless I move around a lot. I don't know if I could tolerate it during a workout; it would be too distracting. I think I will continue to take it in split doses, 6-9g per day, for the first two weeks, until my carnosine stores are built up pretty decent.

I took 3g on an empty stomach the first time I took it a couple days ago. I tingled so badly, like all my limbs fell asleep. The next time, I took 2g, and barely tingled. I just took 3g again this morning, on an empty stomach, and the tingling is rather mild, unless I move around a lot. I don't know if I could tolerate it during a workout; it would be too distracting. I think I will continue to take it in split doses, 6-9g per day, for the first two weeks, until my carnosine stores are built up pretty decent.

It took me about four or five days for the strong tingling to stop. Sugar seems to blunt the tingling quite a bit. I felt the same way you did about it not seeming tolerable, but it has gotten much better.