Rawbert

robert

Hey, what's up ya'll?

I'm thinking of going raw for a couple days at a time to see how it goes. I've never been raw before but thought I'd try it out. I won't do a 30-day program or anything like that. I'm thinking 3 days as a start

Maybe I'll stretch it to a week at some point.

I'm doing a bulking phase right now so I won't do it anytime real soon, but Im thinking about it.

Daywalker says he always drops weight, which worries me because I don't want to drop any, but I think I could benefit from the cleansing effects.

So anyway, when I decide to become the superhero known as Rawbert, I'll let ya'll know. For now, bring on the burritos and Thai food, but in few weeks I'll scrape the skin off a bit until it becomes raw.

Any suggestions for what to eat when I begin this rawfest? I'm currently eating about 8 times a day, 4,000 - 5,000 calories and 250 grams protein a day.

Thanks,

R to the AW, is that really him? BERT like Ernie's hommie, let us begin.

3-day Raw Challenge

Hey man....

I don't think you should do it until your sure of what your getting into and that you really wanna do it for the right reasons...by going raw do you mean going 100% cold turkey for 3 days?

3 days 100% raw can be tough....you can kickstart your detox in 3 days and that's the tough part...most people are get their detox between a week and 3 months....going raw has gotta be something that you really wanna do to get through your detox/cravings

As far as muscle is concerned ...your not gonna reap any rewards YOU want until your body has done it's job and cleaned itself out and that's why it's a long term thing....infact....your gonna lose weight (retained water and cooked food fat) for sure...but that's all a part of your body doing it's job...plus....there's a lot that goes on both mentaly and physicaly too as time goes on that I don't think your gonna wanna deal with...

I wanna be more positive but I know that like me....you have certain goals and expectations and I personaly don't think that it's your intention to throw away everything you have now and start all over again like I did and I don't wanna see you get into it without knowing what your doing (false sense of security)....or what can happen...

Do some major research before you start....don't take any notice of how others do because going raw is too personal...what might work for someone else might not work for you....I think you would do great as a raw vegan other wise

Going raw is a total body over haul!

Having said that going raw is one of the toughest/best things I ever did.

As far as eating ...just eat your favourite foods!

Edited by Bigbwii

Robert, I went high-raw for part of the summer with some days all-raw. I got into it gradually, just substituting more raw foods for cooked (for my snacks, I would eat fruit or Lara bars, for example, instead of something cooked, and I made sure to start each meal with something raw).

Then, I did several days of ' raw until dinner,' and stayed with that for a couple of weeks, with some all-raw days.

Just one way to approach it.

goodluck robert!

I've been wanting to go raw so badly lately, since I've already dropped a tremendous amount of weight. I figured I cant lose much more. I'm pretty much bone and skin right now.

I won't go 100% raw though yet... maybe about 80%. I still love thai and indian currys. hehe

I also want to substitute with protein powders.

so I guess I would just eat lots of nuts, seeds, fruits, and vega.

I can get a lot of my calories from nuts and seeds right? It will just be kinda expensive.

I'm thinking about in 3 months going 80% raw.

What kind of raw foods are high in calories?

thanks

I say go on the raw nut butter diet...it wouldn't be hard to rack up calories that way at all...other than that I say sprout a ton of quinoa, breans, buckwheat...and see if you can find some raw high fructose corn syrup...someones gotta make it

I can get a lot of my calories from nuts and seeds right? It will just be kinda expensive.

Pretty much the foods high in fats are also high in calories: avocados, nuts, seeds. Probably sprouted grains are higher calorie as well.

But most nuts are acid-forming (almonds are one exception) as are most grains (exceptions are 'seed' grains like millet, quinoa and buckwheat, that are actually seeds more than grains) which is not good, IMO. You really have to balance that with alkaline-forming foods, like greens and fruits.

Pretty much the foods high in fats are also high in calories: avocados, nuts, seeds. Probably sprouted grains are higher calorie as well.

But most nuts are acid-forming (almonds are one exception) as are most grains (exceptions are 'seed' grains like millet, quinoa and buckwheat, that are actually seeds more than grains) which is not good, IMO. You really have to balance that with alkaline-forming foods, like greens and fruits.

thanks. I plan to eat lots of almonds .

I also plan to eat tons of fruit to balance it out.

sprouting seems to hard to me to do. how do i sprout? I dont really have the time to tend to a garden... is there a simple way to sprout?

Robert & All,

Please keep us posted Rawbert. I've also been increasing the amount & overall percentage of raw food, esp. fruit, in my diet lately. At the same time, I've increased the amount of cardio exercise, mostly walking and riding my bike, that I'm doing and decreasing the amount of food I eat. I notice a subtle but very positive change in how I feel. I have not lost any weight and may have actually gained a couple of pounds...

Kathryn,

What other nuts and grains are not acid-forming? Is there a certain amount of acid-forming foods that you suggest folks having in their diet? What about citrus fruits?

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you all posted on Rawbert. Right now I'm burrito-bert, eating about four 500-calorie burritos a day, along with 6 other meals I put on about 7-10 lbs since Vegan Vacation. It's great! I still eat a ton of fruit, but also 3 or 4 bars a day (another 1000 calories there), Vega drinks 2-3 times a day (500-750 more calories), and other stuff.

Rawbert will happen eventually.

Kathryn,

What other nuts and grains are not acid-forming? Is there a certain amount of acid-forming foods that you suggest folks having in their diet? What about citrus fruits?

I'll check my resources and get back to you (will scour my sources and post more this weekend). Those are pretty much the ones I remember off-hand.

Citrus fruits are interesting: they are acidic, but in the body, they are very alkaline.

Other acid-forming substances: coffee, tobacco, stress, animal products (no problem there, right?), most processed foods, most beans.

I think nuts can be made less acid-forming by soaking, and raw is less acid-forming than cooked.

Several sources I've read recommend an 80% alkaline-forming/20% acid-forming diet as ideal. This should keep the body somewhat alkaline, which is ideal for reducing the risk of many diseases (cancer, for example, thrives in an acid environment).