AR 2008 August 14 - 18, Alexandria VA ( Washington D.C. )

beforewisdom

What: FARMUSA.ORG's Animal Rights conference AR 2008

Where: "DC" - The Hilton Mark Center, Alexandria Virginia

When: Thursday 2008 August 14 - Monday 2008 August 18

Student discounts are available.

The conference really ends on Sunday 2008 August 17. The following Monday is usually a group protest day.

If you haven't been to one of these conferences yet I highly recommend it. The crowd is great, non-scary, and a very large, diverse group of vegans, AR people.

For more information see:

http://www.arconference.org/

I think nutrition would be better. That crowd tends to be the "who cares if it is healthy as long as it is vegan?" kind of folks.

You do see fewer morbidly obese people at that conference than you do at other public gatherings, but you see a lot of people who look like they could use some sun, vegetables, and exercise.

I went to the last one in DC with Robert and Potter. Last time we set up our both I actually had quite a few inquiries regarding fitness. But will have to see if it over laps a shoot or comp.

It was long before I came to this board, but I was there. I met you and Robert there. I saw the VeganEssentials dude, but didn't introduce myself......he looked scarier than the ALF people

Yeah, I'll have to talk to Jessi about that because there is a chance I'll be at both again.

I'll speak with her tonight. I didn't think of that when the dates for V.V. were announced. I'll check in with her, but if they don't change, I'll have to pick one over the other.

I'll definitely do VV08 over AR08 but it would be fun to do both again. That was a really fun 3 week span of my life and it would be nice to do that again. Hopefully this is only a very small issue in terms of changing dates.

I had a similar thought. I haven't taken a vacation much more than a week long for several years. I thought it would be a real blast if they were back to back and I had a two week break from the world romping around with new people as well as vegans. I've never been out west and I'm looking forward to seeing Oregon.

Unless reservations have been made ( a real possibility ) there is a good chance this can work ....it is about 8 months away

Edited by beforewisdom

veganpotter and I attended these events back to back in 2006. I even left the Vegan Vacation 1/2 a day early to fly out to the AR Conference. potter joined me a day or two later and we met up with SeaSiren there.

It was great! I agree, if they could be back to back or close by, that would be neat to attend both. I realize they are on opposite sides of the country, but it would still be cool to be able to go to both.

3 hours time difference. 6PM PST is 9PM EST.

Flights are about 5-6 hours total air time. So a direct flight could get you from D.C. to Oregon in about 5 1/2 hours if I remember correctly. I've made the cross country flights a bunch of times, including this year Oregon to Boston and Orlando to Oregon, each with about 6 hours air time.

It's not too hard to recover. I also try to sleep a lot on the plane

I'd love to do BOTH and even have a mini Vegan Vacation on the East Coast like we did last year with veganpotter, SeaSiren, VeganEssentials, others who joined the forum later, and myself.

It's great to be able to go to both! Start fundraising now! I know I am!