PHOTOS: Comics that struggled as films

Vegan Joe

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-comic-book-film-flops-pictures,0,1081302.photogallery

'Scott Pilgrim vs. the World'

( Universal Pictures )

The visually inventive, video-game-inspired film has an outlandish plot. In short, one man must battle the seven evil of exes of the love of his life. It's more complex than that, but with off-the-wall humor and elaborately staged martial arts scenes, this big-screen adaption of Bryan Lee O'Malley's comic is not the most conventional of romantic comedies. How many, after all, have vegan police and characters who turn into coins?

Said O'Malley before the film was released: "Watching them talk about vegan powers, I was like, 'What have I done? Is this going to be too weird for normal people to watch?' It was fascinating, and horrible, to see all my weirdness thrown back in my face."

Though Scott Pilgrim, played in the film by Michael Cera, envisions a future with "jetpacks," "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" got off to a slow start at the U.S. box office. Audience reception, however, has been overwhelmingly positive, as those who saw it gave an average grade of an A-. Critics were pleased as well, as the the film received endorsements from the Times, the New York Times and the Chicago Tribune, among many others. Will "Pilgrim" prove to have an extra life, or is it destined for cult-hit status?

Box office opening weekend: $10,609,795

Production budget: Estimated to be around $85 million

Rotten Tomatoes rating: 81%

Times review: 'Scott Pilgrim' is an inventive ode to Nerdville