I want to run

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how to work into a running program? I usually do my cardio in half hour or hour sessions on the elliptical machine, sometimes walking on the treadmill or biking. I want to run though!

The issue is my 'bad' knee doesn't handle impact well. I've had a lot of injury to them, and still have almost constant pain any time I'm in motion.

I was thinking maybe I'd just start slowly, like maybe 10 minutes of jogging worked into the rest of a cardio session, see how that feels, and work in longer pieces of running as I'm able? Because I so frequently have pain in my knees I don't really know at what point I should stop if it's hurting, how much pain I should tolerate vs. what is injurious, that sort of thing. I'm fairly well resigned to the fact that it's just going to hurt and there isn't a lot I can do about it....and I am determined to be able to just "go for a run" something I haven't been able to do in years!

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this sort of thing?

heyee i have also been looking into starting a running program. I used to run cross country in high school but now im too fat to run. In a runners magazine i picked up they reccomended, the first two weeks, every other day walk 20 min. The next two weeks walk for two minutes then jog 30 seconds. The next two weeks, walk for 1 min 30 seconds and so on, each two weeks decreasing your walking time by 30 seconds. It seems long and tedious, but i try to remember that if you jump into running too fast you can definately hurt yourself or wear yourself out really quickly. And this doesnt have to be your only source of cardio while you are building up, continue with the other stuff you are doing. Now if i could only get my ass out of bed in the morning and get started. hehe.

Hi Meggy!

I think you shouldn't ignore any pain while running.

You should strengthen your thigh muscles first, then slowly build up your ability to run WITHOUT PAIN. With proper exercise and medical gymnastics you should be able to at least walk again without pain.

Maybe you can get an expert to look at your running technique, most untrained people do something wrong.

The usual way to build up running endurance is to walk and jog slowly alternating, and decrease the length and number of the walking periods.

Generally, most people tend to run too fast. High class marathon runners don't run very fast (relative for their competition speed) when running the main part of their miles per week.

Hope that helped a little

Love and peace,

Daywalker

Ash, I like that plan - it sounds like it moves nice and slow. I definitely can't afford to give up the other cardio so I'll have to work it in.

Alex - I've been working on my thighs for a few weeks now, and have noticed *some* improvement in strength...the little hills on the ride to and from school are easier now But my knee still feels like jello after I use it and there are several different areas of it that hurt....

I've had to fight through it before...when I still played competitive softball I had to do lots of speed and agility training, which was torturous. I know my legs are unbalanced, and I compensate for one with the other...I am not sure how to resolve those issues

Can you think of any specific exercises that might be helpful?

I think for the moment I'll just try the walking/alternating jogging bit and see what happens....I've NEVER been able to run very fast so that's no problem

Treadmill and shoes can make a difference. Or even a track. Pavement can be killer.

Of course I'm a bad one to talk. I kicked off ten miles last night after not running in two months, and ten is twice what I've ever done, and now I can barely walk... *sigh*

Mom says orthotics are in order for me. We'll see.