OrganicAthlete Portland Chapter

Great to see this! You beat me to it! I've been all over the place lately, but thanks for posting it!

I'm off to Eugene today, I'll try to spread the message down there too. Track town USA!

I have a feeling I know who this is, but feel free to post an introduction in the introductions section. We have about 700 vegan athletes here who'd love to meet you!

I'm really looking forward to being a part of this group once I move out there later in May. It would be nice to find vegans willing to do 80+mile rides on a regular basis. The vegans I know here won't ride that long more than once a month at most. I'd like to ride that long 3-4 times a week at least.

I'm really looking forward to being a part of this group once I move out there later in May. It would be nice to find vegans willing to do 80+mile rides on a regular basis. The vegans I know here won't ride that long more than once a month at most. I'd like to ride that long 3-4 times a week at least.

Youre crazy man! I love it! haha

By then we'll be forcing you to come along...trust me...80 miles isn't that bad...the first time you do it it hurts your butt much more than your legs. Plus those long rides aren't supposed to be fast.

By then we'll be forcing you to come along...trust me...80 miles isn't that bad...the first time you do it it hurts your butt much more than your legs. Plus those long rides aren't supposed to be fast.

I think I need a 10 speed road bike before I attempt that shit! 80 miles never being able to stop pedaling? I dont think so. hahaha.

I do a bit of racing but I'm not at all interested in most of the races here. I don't really like crits and thats all we have. The only race I'm interested in is a TT coming in March...other than that I'm gonna build my base up again to track race in Portland. I'm gonna do some races and try my best but I'll be racing while training for other things so I don't know or care how well I do. Anyway I'd love to be on a vegan team too...my team has 4 vegans on it now but its not the same with all the carnis around

Racing here is much more than crits. There are a few crits, but mostly we have road and circuit races. The circuit races are on 1 to 3 mile closed courses. One is on the Portland International raceway. That one is 2.2 mile laps, with 10 or more laps of flat fast racing, two nights a week. Then there is Mt Tabor, which is 1.3 mile laps with half of the course flat and down hill and half with a lung busting climb. This is also a very fast race of 7 or more laps. There is also the Banana Belt series, which is on a 11 mile closed course with 4 laps, but that one happens in April. Here is a link to the race calender. I haven't even mentioned the road races, Track races and cyclo-cross.

www.obra.org

Can't wait for those other races...crits are just a big pain in the butt for me...8mph...30mph...8mph...35mph...way too much change in speed from a near stop

• 3 weeks later...

Ride this Saturday! the 24th. Be there!

It starts at 10 a.m. under the east

side of the Hawthorne bridge. It is around 13 miles, down the Springwater

corridor into SE Portland and back to the water front. One stop at Space

Monkey Coffee on 71st and Harold(vegan friendly). A stop at the end of the

ride could happen if the group wanted.

• 3 weeks later...

Great! Thanks for the update. I'll try to do a better job of spreading the word this time. I hope for great weather too!

I know a bunch of us will be up in Seattle for the Seattle VegFest but I'll encourage those in the area to attend.

Thanks!