i'm gonna get fast... i hope

Thanks guys. I think not running for five days contributed to putting me in a pretty depressed state overall. I was feeling like nothing I do has any meaning, and like I didn't even know who I was anymore. I'm feeling a bit less angsty now.

Anyway, I went to the sports medicine doctor this morning. I was correct, it is a hip flexor strain. He has prescribed that I get physiotherapy for it, but also says it's fine to keep running as long as it isn't hurting me to run. So, hurray! I'm going to be careful though, and maybe step it back a bit. I can't get in for physio until Jan. 2 because of the holidays.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news...this means ass can and will still be kicked. So are you gonna drop miles or just drop intensity???

LOL, well, since I've already slowed down a LOT due to winter conditions (extra layers, snowy pathways, numbness) I guess I'll drop back my miles a bit. I'll see how it goes. Todd found some strengthening exercises online, so I'm going to try those out too.

I just got back from a run. The roads were clear which was awesome! It's also just above freezing. It also meant I really had to fight to hold myself back from running too fast. I did nearly 7.5 km in 40 minutes, We've got some nice days coming up so I want to save something for then. My leg felt fine... I could feel it a bit, but it wasn't painful at all, I was just aware of it.

I read in the paper today that police are looking for a man who sexually touched three women in three separate incidents in a park I run past regularly. Lovely. I guess at least there's a good chance I could outrun him.

It's not as warm as it was supposed to be today, so I'm going to skip running and do some yoga and weights.

Todd gave me my Saturnus gift yesterday... Veganomicon, and Sinfully Vegan. So now I'm preparing to make some atrociously rich desserts. How does brownie with caramel and then covered with chocolate and pecans sound?

To be honest, I don't really know that much about different types of yoga. I only know the term Ishta because it's the type of yoga that the people who produced the DVD I use practice (Yoga Zone). It's basically holding poses and tying movement to breathing and getting you to focus on your form. I don't really get too much into the mental aspect because the one guy really annoys me, but I like the routine. I have some other DVDs from the same group focusing on various aspects (abs, power yoga, etc.) but I don't use those nearly as often. The flow vinyasa DVD workout is intended to burn calories, and takes you through groupings of poses like an aerobic workout. I used to find it quite challenging before I started running, but not so much anymore. I use the first DVD the most because it resembles body weight exercises the most due to holding the poses.

There are a few people here (Ravi and nicole spring to mind) who know a lot more about yoga than I do, and I bet they'd be happy to help you figure it all out.

My dad was up, so I did nothing on boxing day aside from lots of cooking and cleaning, and then a 1/2 hour upper body/abs workout on the 27th. Today I ran about an hour. I really didn't want to, and Todd had to convince me to go. I'm glad I did now. I'm a bit depressed these days... "the holidays" sort of get to me. I'd like to do 25-27k on Sunday.

I've been thinking about doing some yoga. I've done some beginners hatha yoga before but I don't know much about the other kinds. What's the difference between hatha and the kinds that you do? Which do you like the most?

Hey Laura. From my knowledge very little Anyways I did Hatha Yoga and they hold their posses longer then flow. Flow is faster movements and they hold their posses shorter. Yin Yoga is 3-5 min holds Yin yoga is very good for a athlete from what I heard. Vanyasa is more strength, fast, and awkward posses. They are very similar. I guess it depends what kind of style you like and if you like your teacher.

To be honest, I don't really know that much about different types of yoga. I only know the term Ishta because it's the type of yoga that the people who produced the DVD I use practice (Yoga Zone). It's basically holding poses and tying movement to breathing and getting you to focus on your form. I don't really get too much into the mental aspect because the one guy really annoys me, but I like the routine. I have some other DVDs from the same group focusing on various aspects (abs, power yoga, etc.) but I don't use those nearly as often. The flow vinyasa DVD workout is intended to burn calories, and takes you through groupings of poses like an aerobic workout. I used to find it quite challenging before I started running, but not so much anymore. I use the first DVD the most because it resembles body weight exercises the most due to holding the poses.

There are a few people here (Ravi and nicole spring to mind) who know a lot more about yoga than I do, and I bet they'd be happy to help you figure it all out.

I thought you through those video's out the window

I had a crappy sleep last night and some leg pain through the night (I'm thinking phantom pain, because there was no reason why I should have had any) so I figured to be on the safe side, I'd postpone the long run till tomorrow. I did do 10k in 53 minutes though, just to make sure everything was ok.

Yesterday I did 1/2 hour of yoga and some arm weights. I've upped my weights from 50 to 60 pounds.

So I did 26km today. It was... interesting. I really don't know what the hell had gotten into people. I saw about 25 runners (my route included going up and down the canal, which is heavily trafficked by runners) and maybe 1/4 made eye contact, which was really unusual; typically everyone is friendly and waves, or at least nods. But not today.

I also almost got hit by two cars who didn't bother to check the sidewalks as they pulled out of parking lots onto the road, and there were several people who simply would NOT share the sidewalk so I body checked them on the way by. It was possibly the most hostile run I've ever had. But, the weather was pretty good, and the conditions on the roads/sidewalks were ok.

I am starting physiotherapy on Wednesday, so we'll see if they tell me I have to stop, cut back, or whatever. I am not looking forward to this. If they make me stop I'll probably end up depressed beyond belief because running is so good for my mental health.

She's Canadian..which means she plays hockey 8 hours a day anyway...if she says she doesn't its probably because she plays in her sleep.