Greetings everyone!

VeganGirl2006

Hello folks. I am Courtney, a new member to the boards! I got invited by Robert, who I ran into on another vegan message board.

Only 4 days ago I made the decision to change my lifestyle and go vegan. I am an assistant manager at a Mcdonald's here in Fargo and I was curious about a book I had heard about called "Fast Food Nation." So I bought the book to read it. Well what I read not only turned me off of fast food, but off from meat products in general. Even the one time I tried to eat meat after reading it, I vomited. I just can't do it anymore! So, I decided to become vegan. Not only will being vegan make the nevironment a better place for both humans and animals alike, but it will make me become a healthier person and aid me in my weight loss and fitness journey.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

Courtney

Hey Courtney,

Welcome aboard! We're happy to have you here. Congratulations on changing your life to follow a healthier, more compassionate path. Great stuff!

You will find a very supportive group here. Some people joke around a bit (including myself as you'll see) but we're all here to support one another and share information, inspiration and motivation.

All the best and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Since you're "new" to veganism, please explore the various sections and post any questions you have. At least someone here will have an answer to almost anything you could think of.

Take care,

Thanks Matt!

Yeah, end cruelty, it's kind of weird. I am looking for a new job but the job market sucks in Fargo. I have to stay there until I find something better. I like my coworkers and the job itself but it doesn't pay much and I can't eat anything there, which is tough. Side salads (just lettuce and tomatoes) get boring after a while. I do hope I can find a higher paying job that I will like soon.

Hi Courtney!

welcome to VBB! I thought Fast Food Nation was a fantastic book, I'd also recommend "Mad Cowboy" by Howard Lyman. Another fantastic read.

How are things going with the flooding this year? Congratulations on your descision to becoming healthier, believe me, you will NOT be dissapointed

Welcome Courtney!

Fast Food Nation was the turning point for me too!

I went vegetarian then vegan a couple years later.

I work for a Foodservices company which supplies restaurants.

I don't have to work with meat or cooking of meat but it is sure tough sometimes.

Hi Courtney!

welcome to VBB! I thought Fast Food Nation was a fantastic book, I'd also recommend "Mad Cowboy" by Howard Lyman. Another fantastic read.

How are things going with the flooding this year? Congratulations on your descision to becoming healthier, believe me, you will NOT be dissapointed

Hi and thanks! I will have to check out "Mad Cowboy" and see how it is. Thanks for the book recommendation.

Fortunately the flooding did not affect me at all. Although I do live a few blocks from the river, it never affected my part of Fargo. I kind of live in the northern part away from where the bulk of the bad flooding took place.

I am liking my new lifestyle so far. It's great, healthy, and doesn't hurt living things!

Welcome Courtney!

Fast Food Nation was the turning point for me too!

I went vegetarian then vegan a couple years later.

I work for a Foodservices company which supplies restaurants.

I don't have to work with meat or cooking of meat but it is sure tough sometimes.

Yeah, it is. I am glad that I am not the only person who read Fast Food Nation and had a light lulb go off in their head. Nice to meet you!

I am liking my new lifestyle so far. It's great, healthy, and doesn't hurt living things!

By the way, Courtney, it is great that you are reading up on these issues. It is a good way to speak knowledgeably of veganism when you are asked a million questions or even questioned/challenged by omnis.

Also, i HIGHLY recommend you watch this. It is only a 14 minute documentary and it is, in my opinion, a must see for everybody, especially a new vegan!

www.meetyourmeat.com (click on the Meet your Meat video link from there, and make sure your speakers are on so you could here the narration).

Good that you care about making informed consumer choices.

And welcome again!

o wow you're vegan and work for mcdonalds??? that should be interesting

That's what I thought too when I say the thread on VeganGirl's new job. In all fairness though she has only been a vegan for a matter of days - it sounds like the decision was very sudden, rather than the gradual path most of us take - and we've all gotta keep paying the bills.

Anyway hello and well done on becoming vegan VeganGirl, and I'm glad it's goin so well for ya so far.

:party:

No offense meant VeganGirl or anyone else who has had a emoticon party reply from compassiontegirl. Does anyone else want to burst those bloody balloons and trip those silly things up so they stop that stupid dance, that appear in about half of CG's posts.