Little muscle mass

Hey, I need your help how to work out, I don't really wanna built a huge muscle mass, maybe more like Brendan, just wanna be strong and have a good endurance, I'm not really a bulker, I thought to workout 3 times a week in a split, max 4 times, what would you guys suggest?

Like Zack said, it's quite true that nobody ever "accidentally" got big and bulky just by accident. Most people are lucky if they can add 10-15 lbs. in a year when they're starting out, so you're not going to just get big one day and realize that it happened without notice.

If you don't train and eat to get big, it simply won't happen, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Zack (love the new signature) and Veganessentials are right. There are plenty of people who try their asses off to get big and have a hell of a time doing it. I would say for right now, lift heavy and add mass. Once you attain all the mass you want, stop increasing your loads and just try to get more reps with the weight you are using.

I would say for right now, lift heavy and add mass. Once you attain all the mass you want, stop increasing your loads and just try to get more reps with the weight you are using.

My experience has been the opposite. Higher reps and more diversified lifts lead to increased muscle size. Back when I was adding weight weekly doing a 5x5 workout I gained a lot in strength but not much in size at all. (Well except for legs with squats.)

I would say for right now, lift heavy and add mass. Once you attain all the mass you want, stop increasing your loads and just try to get more reps with the weight you are using.

My experience has been the opposite. Higher reps and more diversified lifts lead to increased muscle size. Back when I was adding weight weekly doing a 5x5 workout I gained a lot in strength but not much in size at all. (Well except for legs with squats.)

I'm sure cubby is not talking about that low of reps. He knows that size is best left to 8-12..

I'm sure cubby is not talking about that low of reps. He knows that size is best left to 8-12..

Yeah, I didn't mean that low. 5x5 is either a power program or a plateau buster.

Everyone is different . . . I gained 30 lbs of muscle lifting heavier weights at low reps . . . 3-6 rep range. There is no absolute formula, you have to find what works for you.

Exactly. Same thing with me - best gains ever were on 1-6 rep sets, always going heavy. The bodybuilding magazines have always made it sound like somehow going under 8-10 reps was "only for strength", but everyone is different, and some people can grow their best keeping the reps low, so long as they give each set everything they've got!

I train somewhat instinctively, but I find that I like variety. Some low reps, some high...all in the same session works nice for me. Like squatting today, reps were only in the 5-9 range but guarantee it was good.

Everyone is different . . . I gained 30 lbs of muscle lifting heavier weights at low reps . . . 3-6 rep range. There is no absolute formula, you have to find what works for you.

Exactly. Same thing with me - best gains ever were on 1-6 rep sets, always going heavy. The bodybuilding magazines have always made it sound like somehow going under 8-10 reps was "only for strength", but everyone is different, and some people can grow their best keeping the reps low, so long as they give each set everything they've got!

Perhaps the low rep thing worked for me because I didn't read the BB mag articles, and didn't know that it didn't work?

I do 10 reps all the way, usually for 2-3 sets, and vary the workouts only occasionally.

As said it varies from person to person.My gfs brother used to lift weights & he got pretty big.He was doing sets of 12 but doing like 4-5 sets of each exercise which I thought seemed like way too many total reps but hey it worked for him!

Most of what I have read says that low reps are better for power, but with power tends to come mass anyway, so it isn't like you are going to be spinning your wheels on hypertrophy while doing low reps. The 5x5 programs is second most effective program I have tried. The most effective for me has been HIT with a low reps session for all body parts (two day split - uppper/lower) followed by a higher rep session for all later in the week.