Tofu vs Tempeh

You people are all crazy. Tempeh is amazing.

I second that. Maybe some of you are preparing it wrong? I suggest steaming or boiling it for 15 minutes. Then let it cool a bit - I usually just throw it in the freezer for a few minutes.

Whip up a marinade. Here's a quicky:

2 TB Water

1TB Soy Sauce

1TB Lemon Juice

Splash of Apple Cider Vinegar

Hot Sauce to taste

You can always throw in other stuff also. Black pepper, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, agave, etc.

Throw the tempeh in a zip top bag. Pour the marinade over the tempeh. Shake, and refrigerate - I'de suggest anywhere from 20 minutes to overnight.

When I first tried tofu, I hated it. But now, I've found ways to prepare it and places to order it that I enjoy it. And I also figured out that firmer = better. My current favorite is to drain it, sprinkle it with cornstarch, fry it in a bit of coconut oil, then mix up a nice spicy peanut sauce for it. Or a ginger sauce. YUM!

Same goes for tempeh. The first couple times I had it, I thought it was weird and kind of nasty. Then I made the tempeh bacon from "Vegan with a Vengeance" and found I liked it that way... and have since discovered it's awesome with BBQ sauce. Not weird anymore.

I don't think most of us grew up eating either of those, so it's going to be weird and unfamiliar the first few times. Unless something totally makes me gag, I'll sample it two or three different ways before I claim to dislike it.