Going to Toronto

Lena01

Hi! I'm going to Toronto at the beginning of July and it'd be awesome if anyone who lives there or has been around can tell me where are nice places to go eat, things to see. I want to buy some Vega too but dunno where. I hope you can help me somehow.

Cheers!

PS-I wasn't sure where to put this thread, I hope it's in the right section.

Lena, I don't live in Toronto but I have been there many times for the sole purpose of eating and shopping vegan!

My favorite restaurants in Toronto are Fresh (www.juiceforlife.com), Pulp Kitchen (www.pulpkitchen.ca), Cafe 668 (www.cafe668.com), Urban Herbivore (www.fressenrestaurant.com) and Vegetarian Haven (www.vegetarianhaven.com). There are lots more places, which you can see at http://veg.ca/content/view/64/102/ but those are my favorites of the places I've tried. Other places I've tried include Live, Annapurna, and Simon's Vegetarian Wok. Fresh is my absolute, hands down favorite.

As for VEGA, when I am in toronto I always pick a few jugs of it up in the Kensington Market. There are three health food stores in the market, some of which carry vega for a very low price ($55 for the big one compared to $70). All the health food stores have really good deals. One is called Sugar and Spice, the other is Essence of Life, and the third is called tutti frutti. There is also King's Cafe in the market that has a little store at the back of it that sells all kinds of different fake meats and chinese condiments.

Other good places to hit are Noah's Natural Foods, The Big Carrot, Grassroots Environmental, and the Toronto Vegetarian Association's resource centre (above vegetarian haven). Oh oh, and Left Feet/ Heart on your Sleeve. They are also in the Kensington market. Left Feet is a vegan shoe store, and HOYS is fair trade organic vegan clothing.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks a lot Pam!!! That's the kind of thing I was trying to find out. I know there are resources online where one might search but I'd rather get the suggestions from people here as it is a closest experience.

Again, thank you!

I agree with all of Pamela's suggestions!

I go to Fresh almost every time I'm in TO. Fressen is delicious, especially for brunch! I can't say enough good things about the Big Carrot either, lots of healthy food and natural products. I always joke that the "mothership is calling me home" when I go there.

There's also a Commensal restaurant on Elm Street (I think) it's like a vegetarian buffet style place. I haven't been so I can't make any suggestions but I find happycow.net provides awesome suggestions.

Have a great time in TO!

Thanks guys!

Cubby I would do what you suggest but it doesn't appeal to me a lot getting there as a very newbie and saying "hey I just registered because I need a tour guide" lol. I have a friend who's showing me around in his day off and fortunately that's at the beginning of my trip. But what you said made me think that I should perhaps be in more places so I get to know more people.

Karmacharger I might go for that brunch, it's always a great meal for me: not a light breakfast, not a heavy lunch.

Pam, muchas gracias, one more time.

Hey Lena,

I saw in other threads you had also asked about finding Hemp protein. I'm actually suprised to hear that you are unable to find it where you live (however I realize you may be from a small town). I know in Canada you can find a number of brands of Hemp protein and should be able to pick some up while in Toronto.

In the states we even have a number of brands (all Canadian) to choose from but a good option when buying in bulk (and a convenient option if you are unable to find a store in your area that sells) is

http://www.manitobaharvest.com/

where you can buy Hemp protein with and w/o fiber. (the fiber version has a few less grams of protein but much more fiber).

A lot of people here also buy from trueprotein.com but I do not know their shipping to Canada.

Just thought I'd leave a few notes. Hope this helps.

Thanks Dawbert! I might go for the online option, just wasn't sure of how reliable certain sites could be.

Thing here is that the natural stores are a bit far away and I'm not even sure if they would have hemp powder. This is a capital city for the province so I thought there was going to be stores selling that kind of products closer to downtown but there aren't The one I just finished I bought it in a much smaller city so it would surprise me that there's none that carries hemp here. Anyways I'm waiting until I go to Toronto because it doesn't make a lot of sense for me now to buy things and leave them half used for 2 months in a shelf.

Hi Lena,when will you be in Toronto? Pam summed up all the vegan restaurants and health stores perfectly for toronto. I live in Little Italy, walking distance to most of the places mentioned. Do you have a place to stay? We have couchsurfers at the house all the time. we have an extra key, bike, bed etc. I will be out of town June 30to july 6th. If you are still around I'd love to show you around, or work out or help you out. And there's a bed here if you need. Let me know!

ANdrea

Andrea, I really appreciate your offer. Thanks!!!

I would be thrilled to go work out with you, go out and about... I will arrive the 6th.

I couldn't see you e-mail on your profile or PM you, if you could pliz send me an e-mail

Edited by Lena01