Overtraining anything?

Ok, currently I lift 2x a week, rock climb 1x a week, and do a cardio/leg routine 1-2x a week.

I have barely been able to maintain my lifts, and I feel entirely exhausted after every set. Today I couldn't complete my second set of pull-ups! :\

I just increased my caloric intake to 2200-2300 cals per day, up from 2000-2100 (20p-60c-30f macros). I simply added more grains/beans to my diet hoping this would help me, but I seem to be more tired than ever, so now I am thinking it could be my routine.

I am 6'1 (1.85m), 185lbs (84kg), and I have a sedentary lifestyle (lazy student).

Am I overtraining my back, shoulders, or anything else with this routine?

3x8 shoulder-ups

3x5 wide-grip pull-ups

3x7 chin-ups

3x12 dips

3x10 DB press

3x10 lat pulldown

3x10 overhead press

3x10 deadlift

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Edited by Fallen_Horse

Sorry that you've been tired. For me, your workout would be exhausting. But I work one body part at a time and each part only once per week - for about 20 total sets. I'm 5'10"/150 lbs/20% fat and eat about 2700 maintenance calories. I get tired easily when I go to 2000 or below. I don't know your weight/height/composition, so I'm not sure about your caloric intake. The only other thing I can think of is your pre-work out nutrition. I do best with eating a small meal 1 hour before working out - with a good amount of complex carbs. I don't know if any of that will work for you but good luck with getting over the exhaustion.

One more thought. If it's been warmer in your gym with the summer weather then maybe you need to drink more.

Personally, when I feel tired, it's mostly spychological reasons (stress causing fatigue or just depressed causing lack of motivation and lazyness) or because my calorie intake is to low. In those cases, I simply feel to weak to do a useful workout (a work out in which I feel I did my best or that allow my to improve from last session).

Or it could be overtraining, and there's too kind of overtraining: coming from the training itself which is too intense, or the other possibility is that we don't allow the body to fully recover, with enough sleep or proper nutrition. Personally I find that eating at least 75% raw can help the body to recover faster and better, need less hours of sleep and the day after the training you're ready to do it again.

Overtraining sucks. I used to do it a lot because I was obsessed with my body. Actually, I'm still obsessed with my body but I'm working on it..

Sometimes, if you feel that tired you just need to rest for a couple days. After about 2 days of rest I'm good to go again.

I would think the lat pulldowns would be redundant as you are already doing pullups and chin ups, I think it is going to tax your shoulders too much, especially as your are rock climbing too.

It looks as if you have reached a point where you have become overtrained and pushing yourself through it would be counter productive if anything.

I also agree with what has been said above about your diet and I would also suggest taking some L-Glutamine, 20-30g per day in 3-4 separate doses on an empty stomach for a week or so before lowering the dose. It will help keep your immune system in check

Have a few days off and you should be feeling a lot better.

Ok, so a summary of recommendations.

1. Take a few days off.

2. L-glutamine

3. 75% raw (but I love cereal! )

4. Small PreWO meal (how small?)

5. No lat pulldowns? (I did this to help build my lats more, b/c they suck)

5. More water (good idea)

I have edited my topic with other data that might help (height 6'1, weight 185lbs, lifestyle: sedentary)

Thanks to everyone who has replied!

Ok, so a summary of recommendations.

1. Take a few days off.

2. L-glutamine

3. 75% raw (but I love cereal! )

4. Small PreWO meal (how small?)

5. More water (good idea)

I have edited my topic with other data that might help (height 6'1, weight 185lbs, lifestyle: sedentary)

Thanks to everyone who has replied!

3. eat Ruth's Chia Goodness for breakfast, it's raw cereals. Just put water and wait 10 minutes. I like them especially when I put them in the blender, makes them more creamy.

4. Take your total calorie requirement and divide by 6 or 8. For instance, 3000 cals in 6 meals make 500 calorie /meal.

5. Or eat foods high in water (fruits and veggies)

I think if you can replace or alternate between pullups and pulldowns it will give your rotator cuffs a bit of a break.

By the looks of it you are doing three movements (pullups, chinups and pulldowns) for your lats, which is a lot of work.

I think two would be enough and make sure you concentrate on feeling the muscle work through the full range of motion.

I eat 5-6 small meals per day, so a small meal would be about 500 calories for me. You can go 75% raw if you wish but it's not essential as most people who successfully work out are not close to that range. I would try all of the other suggestions before ingesting any synthesized amino acids - why take them if something else works, especially if you are eating enough protein to synthesize your own?