Green, Green Gardens

Who here grows there own food? I wish to breath in any and all knowledge I can possibly absorb from you.

For the most part I want to grow typical fruits and vegetables( Tons of Spinach of course because I am a Spinach Slut ) As for Fruits. Mum tells me that most Fruits grow on Trees. And trees take years to grow. Anyone know of any Fruits that grow on Bushes?

Besides Those things. I want to grow Soy Beans( Which I would use to make homemade Soymilk and Tofu ) Various Nuts and Berries, Hemp( Although I can't because America Sucks ) and Wheat/Whole wheat ( Which I would use to make into flour to make Pizzas and Pasta's )

Besides all of that. The only thing I can't grow that I need is salt. But I imagine that Salt isn't treated like normal veggies( I'm trying to stay away from the crap they use to grow commercial organic ) So which Salt is best? Sea Salt or Kosher Salt?

And what about Dulce? Can I grow that too? Perhaps in a water tank or something?

Who here grows there own food? I wish to breath in any and all knowledge I can possibly absorb from you.

For the most part I want to grow typical fruits and vegetables( Tons of Spinach of course because I am a Spinach Slut ) As for Fruits. Mum tells me that most Fruits grow on Trees. And trees take years to grow. Anyone know of any Fruits that grow on Bushes?

Besides Those things. I want to grow Soy Beans( Which I would use to make homemade Soymilk and Tofu ) Various Nuts and Berries, Hemp( Although I can't because America Sucks ) and Wheat/Whole wheat ( Which I would use to make into flour to make Pizzas and Pasta's )

Besides all of that. The only thing I can't grow that I need is salt. But I imagine that Salt isn't treated like normal veggies( I'm trying to stay away from the crap they use to grow commercial organic ) So which Salt is best? Sea Salt or Kosher Salt?

And what about Dulce? Can I grow that too? Perhaps in a water tank or something?

The only fruits that don't grow in trees are AKA fruit-vegetables, there's egg-fruit, green pepper, hot pepper, avocado, red pepper, cucumber, tomato and zuchini.

If you live in California it's possible to grow all the things you said (eventhough it's gonna take lots of your time and you're gonna need a huge garden, not a garden but a field!). It's much simpler to just buy organic whole wheat flour then to grow your own.

If you want your own salt and your own seaweeds, you're gonna need more than a garden, you're gonna need the ocean in your backyard, lol.

The only fruits that don't grow in trees are AKA fruit-vegetables, there's egg-fruit, green pepper, hot pepper, avocado, red pepper, cucumber, tomato and zuchini.

Dude, avocados grow on trees, and you're totally forgetting berries like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries on bushes and strawberries on small plants and grapes on vines.

You can also grow fruit trees in very small spaces, training them along fences or on trellises, known as the espalier method.

http://www.ynurserynews.com/news/7/05/espalier.jpg

I would start with some easy to grow things like tomatoes, peppers and zucchini. They can easily be grown in pots and are a good way to get started. After you have that mastered, move on to something else. You're only going to be able to grow spinach in the winter in California. It doesn't like heat, although New Zealand spinach, which isn't actually a spinach but very similar will withstand the heat.

You have to watch this video about a family in Pasadena, California who grow almost all of their own food in their suburban yard and also grow enough to sell about 5,000 pounds of veggies in the local community. They also make their own biodiesel which they make from used vegetable oil they get from their customers and use it to run their delivery truck.

Michael is right, all little fruits like grapes and berries don't take too long to grow, and you could say they don't grow in trees, but bushes, small plants and vines...

I didn't know avocados grow in trees. But do you know what I saw in the movie Our Daily Bread ? Genetically modified cucumbers that grow in trees so it's more convienient to pick!

I didn't know Avocado's grew on tree's either ;-;. Crap. I love Avocado's.

I wish I was Tom Cruise Rich. If I was I'd have a 40 acre Garden inside my home and I'd hire Vegans to do the Gardening, The Harvesting and have them Organize all of the food so I can just walk into my Kitchen and find what I need.

Ah.

I didn't know Avocado's grew on tree's either ;-;. Crap. I love Avocado's.

I wish I was Tom Cruise Rich. If I was I'd have a 40 acre Garden inside my home and I'd hire Vegans to do the Gardening, The Harvesting and have them Organize all of the food so I can just walk into my Kitchen and find what I need.

Ah.

Ah, but you don't have to be rich or have 40 acres. Did you watch the vid I posted of the family in Pasadena? It'll change your whole outlook on life.

• 1 month later...