Dirt cheap protein supplement?

Hey guys,

So, I was down at Bulk Barn the other day and noticed that they had a "powdered soy milk" with only one ingredient - defatted soy flour! I can't recall the specific numbers, but it had about 56g of protein per 100g dry weight and 360 calories or so. It has a similar protein:carb:calorie ratio to my current soy supplement, but here's the thing...it's under $1.00/lb!

I'm thinking of trying it out in place of my current stuff. Right now I'm paying about $1.00/30g serving, while this stuff is under $0.10 per 30g serving! On a student's budget, it's particularly appealing. I could get a year's worth for the price I'm paying for a month's supply of my current stuff. What do you guys think?

Hi,

When overfeeding I use Maltodextrin + soy protein, and I buy them from here (the best deal online I can find for both):

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=643

In fact the combo is pretty much the cheapest energy source around. I get the 50 lb bag of M + a couple 4 lb bags of soy protein (I think it's about $90 total). You have to buy in these large amounts to get a good deal - but you get a lot. Just the bag of maltodextrin is over 90,000 kcal for around 50 bucks.

Damn you Canadians!

How are their prices on non-soy proteins?

I'm going to do a more thorough check of the place this weekend. The only "protein supplements" they carry under that category are prepackaged and are as expensive as any nutrition store. I just noticed that the "soy milk powder" is essentially a non-isolate soy protein. I'll take a look to see if they have any gluten, rice protein, etc - gluten I'm sure they have, since it's used in a lot of cooking (but I wouldn't want to supplement with gluten instead of soy), but I don't know what else they might have. I'll see.

In any case, I'm going to go pick myself up a kilo of the dirt cheap soy milk powder and see how it is! It's definitely less processed and is in less wasteful packaging than what I have now, though I might have to find a way to flavour it a bit.