Portlander vegetarian here!

Schopenhauer

Welcome, Brad!

REQUESTING PICTURES! With your background I'm expecting to see some proper muscle!

Great to have another long time veggie & long time bodybuilder here!

I have a picture for an avatar, but can't seem to figger it out!

I assume I have to be a member for awhile before avatars are enabled...??

You can use an avatar right away. Just upload it somewhere, like http://imageshack.us/ or http://photobucket.com/ (Photobucket requires registration but I recommend it since it stores the photos in your personal album for free ext.)

Then put the url of the pic in "Link off-site" and you're fine. The url has to be "direct" so no .php=? stuff but a "direct link" from imageshack or photobucket. Or you can send the pic to our admin Richard and he can do it for you.

You can use an avatar right away. Just upload it somewhere, like http://imageshack.us/ or http://photobucket.com/ (Photobucket requires registration but I recommend it since it stores the photos in your personal album for free ext.)

Then put the url of the pic in "Link off-site" and you're fine. The url has to be "direct" so no .php=? stuff but a "direct link" from imageshack or photobucket. Or you can send the pic to our admin Richard and he can do it for you.

Cool! Thanks for the tips...

Welcome, Brad! Give us some more details!

Hmmm...well, as I said I've been a vegetarian since 1991. As for why I became one, it was a pretty simple decision: I just felt it's unethical to eat other animals. That's it. So I stopped, cold turkey (no pun intended!). Haven't eaten meat since. I do occasionally eat cheese, but no milk. So I'm not a full vegan in that respect...that's why I still consider myself ovo-lacto.

As for bodybuilding, a friend of mine got me into lifting weights when I was in the Navy. I started slowly in 1985, and have never quit. As I've aged, though, I've grown more interested in running than bodybuilding...primarily because it's easier on my body. I've run 9 marthons and 3 ultra-marathons, and hope to do more! I'm pretty heavy for a runner (because of the weightlifting), but I don't mind the contradiction. Living here in Portland is a runner's paradise, and I never seem to tire of being outside.

He's been working really hard at the gym when ever I'm there. Believe me those aren't little model weights he's lifting either. Also Robert is fast on his feet. He kicked my butt when we were running through the trails at Mt Hood

Welcome aboard You should come by for the rest of the Vegan Vacation !

Welcome. I just joined recently myself. I'm also former Navy: 1984 - 1990.

As I've aged, though, I've grown more interested in running than bodybuilding...primarily because it's easier on my body. I've run 9 marthons and 3 ultra-marathons, and hope to do more! I'm pretty heavy for a runner (because of the weightlifting), but I don't mind the contradiction. Living here in Portland is a runner's paradise, and I never seem to tire of being outside.

You are hard-core. I consider running far harder than lifting weights. My knees and hips rebel every time I do any running. I used to play soccer a lot and do a lot of running. But the older I get (46 now), the tougher running is. My hat is off to you, friend. Seriously, I admire a guy who can run like you do.

I used to work-out at the Hollywood 24 when they first built the new one. I started at the old gym there when I moved to Portland. Now I'm out in Aloha, so I go to either the Murray Hills gym or the Beaverton Central gym. Occasionally I hit the downtown 24 Hour Fitness on lunch hours.

• 2 weeks later...