Asthma???

Alychef

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of asthma monitoring. I've been told by my doctor to do a peak flow test in the morning and the evening to ascertain if I'm asthmatic or not-Doc suspects I am due to family history and being typcially Atopic. I've had a pretty hard time lately with chest infections and 'shortness of breath' attacks on several occassions. I'm worried about it slowing my progress as I get really puffed after exercise.

Anyone else in this situation?

Aly

My husband has a 50+ year history of significant asthma. He spent much of his childhood sick but made great strides in the gym when the newer inhalational medications became available. If you have asthma and you treat it correctly then there is no reason you cannot continue making progress.

I agree with this. I actually developed asthma late in life, largely due to pollution (go figure that I move to one of the most polluted cities in NA). But, that said, I was able to get it fully under control -- largely due to the long distance cycling I did and training for that.

I have something called "cough-variant asthma." Basically I start coughing when exposed to dust and pollen, and also get a lingering cough after a cold. The doctor prescribed an inhaler (at first Advair, then Pulmicort) to use every day, and it still did not get rid of my symptoms.

To make a long story short, allergies and asthma are not very well understood, and you end up taking medicines that are not without side effects. I have started using non-traditional techniques (in particular, Reiki, look it up) in addition to my inhalers, and the results have been amazing -- my persistent cough, which was only relieved by the inhalers, is now gone!

Some people do grow out of asthma, and it is my recommendation to try Reiki, or other non-traditional techniques in addition to your medication.

I don't really bother much with pasta or bread. I'm quite low carbs really.

I started on my steroid inhaler last night...and woke up this morning feeling so much better. I've been working out home til today, this afternoon I went into the gym and did a 45 min strength only workout. I managed great! Coughed a we bit, but nothing too bad or embarrassing! That was my worst fear, lying on the floor rolling about coughing looking like I couldn't manage my workout!

My peak flow chart is improving too

Happy Alychef