good cardio plan

orayguno

• 3 months later...
Give HIIT a try, you can google it. But be warned, it can be pretty intense compared to normal jogging, until you get used to it.

Very intense, but for those with athsma like me...the only way to jog at all! It takes a while to build up, but WOW what a rush! And if you use a treadmill, it can make it really easy with the new machines out there. You can usually program your entire HIIT routine into the memory.

i run 3.5 miles (about an 8 minute mile) 6 times a week. i'm just not getting much out of it any more... anyone have any good cadio exercises suggestions?

Don't repeatedly run the same distance at the same pace. Go for shorter and longer runs. If you can, don't run at the same pace all the time - run faster if you can, or slower over longer distances. You won't really improve - or enjoy running as much - if you just do the same distance at the same speed day after day ( presumably over the same route ) ........

One of the best things for a running plateau is to do fartleks. I love them, and they always boost my workouts.

Another thing that works is to do splits -- run 2 miles, a.m.; 2 miles, p.m.

Or run, a.m.; cycle, p.m., etc.

Another good thing is to take a long break from running and do some cycling, stairmaster, intense swimming, or other cardio, etc.; then go back to it.

Or take an entire week off from all cardio, and then resume.

• 3 weeks later...
i run 3.5 miles (about an 8 minute mile) 6 times a week. i'm just not getting much out of it any more... anyone have any good cadio exercises suggestions?

I would first ask, "What are my goals?" If you just want to stay fit or look good, I think setting a measureable goal would be a better and more useful starting point to start with. You seem to like to run, so maybe that's doing a 5K run sometime in a few months. Or doing a 5K run in, say 20 minutes. But setting goals--measureable goals--gets you on the road to getting something out of your training, and that may be what's lacking right now.

I agree with the fartlek idea. You can take that anywhere, and I find it fun to explore new places and never know what to expect. But if you train for an event, you can change up your training to fit that with some days hard and some not. Intervals and speedwork will help you improve if done right, and with lots of rest before and after for optimum recovery.

I'd also suggest finding a running club and do some track workouts. When I got into a running lull many years ago, I started doing track workouts and found a structured, yet fun way to improve my speedwork.

Of course, most of my examples here are about running, but they can be applied to anything else. My point is not to give you an alternative activity, but to suggest setting goals in whatever you do and find new, creative ways of achieving your goals from different workouts.