Tips for keeping energy up for workouts!

Ok, I wanna start a list and have people input suggestions for different ways to build enough energy to get good lifting in during the week. I consistently have a problem with this so I figured maybe other people have some unique suggestions?

1. Get lots of rest (usually 8+ hours)

2. Drink enough water (usually 6-8 cups a day, but perhaps more)

3. Eat a moderate/high carb food 30 minutes to an hour before exercising (I am thinking 200-400 cals?)

1. Not drinking coffee in the mornings.

2. More whole foods, less processed foods.

1. Stick to a routine and don't make excuses.

2. Having a method of mental preparation, or psyching yourself up can help a lot.

1. BCAA right before workouts.

2. Coffee about 30-40 minutes before workouts.

1. A handfull of nuts and dried fruit gives me extra energy for a workout.

2. Drinking a product like Xtend, also helps a lot with energy.

Edited by Fallen_Horse

I've recently figured out that quality and length of rest, combined with not drinking caffeine and eating less processed/more whole foods makes all the difference.

For quality of rest, I mean uninterrupted sleep, that doesn't come after having a couple beers or anything like that. Length of rest I find that at least 9 hours is required by my body to feel recovered from the previous day.

Not drinking coffee in the mornings I've also discovered is key for me. If you regularly drink coffee, you will feel LESS energy for a little while as your body adjusts, but ultimately, coffee does not give you "real" energy and if you require it to feel energized, then something is wrong.

Finally, more whole foods, less processed foods, speaks for itself.

I think you've covered the basic things well. Eat a lot, sleep a lot, but not too much and drink lots of water.

Stick to a routine and don't make excuses.

Even having a method of mental preparation, or psyching yourself up can help a lot with giving extra energy before you lift.