Need help correlation between MIlk and osteoperosis

RAINRA

I need good facts

Person at my work think kids are in need of more milk cause they are not getting enough. I want to show good hard evidence that milk causes osteoperosis. Please give me good facts if you can where these studies favor that evidence.

nutrtional journals or medical journals or even scientific journals.

Well, there's sites like milksucks.com and notmilk.com. But I searched "milk osteoporosis" on Google and got 1 500 000 results, all of them seem to say that milk causes osteoporosis, not preventing it

So, on one site, http://www.4.waisays.com/ExcessiveCalcium.htm, it says mostly that too much calcium is bad. Cow's milk contains 4 times more calcium than humain milk. Human milk contains less calcium, per 100g, than those foods (per 100g too): nuts, olives, figs, berries, orange, etc.

Because we have already been on this planet for millions of years. And we have only consumed milk for a maximum of 0.01 million years. This means that we did not drink a single drop of milk from other animals in more than 99% of human existence; in our entire development from ape to modern human being, we never drank, nor needed animals' milk.

1.6 million years ago there were already humans well over 6 feet tall (39), with apparently strong bones.

So modern man thinks he's smarter than nature, thinks nature made a mistake by not putting enough calcium in breast milk and in common foods, so he thinks he needs to drink cow's milk.

I think its fairly well proven that milk actually leeches calcium from the bones. Besides look at all the mainstream foods such as cereal and orange juice which have calcium in them. Obviously those most people would believe are lacking calcium (vegans) are drinking all the tropicana in the US. It's quite the opposite, really.

you want to understand calcitrol and what it does in the body, along with the protein in milk and what vitamin D does, that is added after its been stripped out, along with the calcium.

I would explain all this better, but I am studying for a med board test and dont want to screw up the short term memory loops I got going on here.

just look up the parathyroid glands and hormones, parafollicular cells of the thyroid gland, and then once you understand all these things you will be able to argue why milk can mess your bones up with style.

Calcitonin is a hormone known to participate in calcium and phosphorus metabolism. In mammals, the major source of calcitonin is from the parafollicular or C cells in the thyroid gland, but it is also synthesized in a wide variety of other tissues, including the lung and intestinal tract. In birds, fish and amphibians, calcitonin is secreted from the ultimobrachial glands.

Calcitonin is a 32 amino acid peptide cleaved from a larger prohormone. It contains a single disulfide bond, which causes the amino terminus to assume the shape of a ring. Alternative splicing of the calcitonin pre-mRNA can yield a mRNA encoding calcitonin gene-related peptide; that peptide appears to function in the nervous and vascular systems. The calcitonin receptor has been cloned and shown to be a member of the seven-transmembrane, G protein-coupled receptor family.

Physiologic Effects of Calcitonin

A large and diverse set of effects has been attributed to calcitonin, but in many cases, these were seen in response to pharmacologic doses of the hormone, and their physiologic relevance is suspect. It seems clear however, that calcitonin plays a role in calcium and phosphorus metabolism. In particular, calcitonin has the ability to decrease blood calcium levels at least in part by effects on two well-studied target organs:

* Bone: Calcitonin suppresses resorption of bone by inhibiting the activity of osteoclasts, a cell type that "digests" bone matrix, releasing calcium and phosphorus into blood.

* Kidney: Calcium and phosphorus are prevented from being lost in urine by reabsorption in the kidney tubules. Calcitonin inhibits tubular reabsorption of these two ions, leading to increased rates of their loss in urine.

It seems clear that there are species differences in the importance of calcitonin as a factor affecting calcium homeostasis. In fish, rodents and some domestic animals, calcitonin appears to play a significant role in calcium homeostais. In humans, calcitonin has at best a minor role in regulating blood concentrations of calcium. One interesting piece of evidence to support this statement is that humans with chronically increased (medullary thyroid cancer) or decreased (surgical removal of the thyroid gland) levels of calcitonin in blood usually do not show alterations from normal in serum calcium concentration.

This is one article I found on Calcitonin.

Addition information on calcitonin and calcium balance can be found in the section Endocrine Control of Calcium and Phosphate Homeostasis.

Control of Calcitonin Secretion

The most prominent factor controlling calcitonin secretion is the extracellular concentration of ionized calcium. Elevated blood calcium levels strongly stimulate calcitonin secretion, and secretion is suppressed when calcium concentration falls below normal. A number of other hormones have been shown to stimulate calcitonin release in certain situations, and nervous controls also have been demonstrated.

Disease States

A large number of diseases are associated with abnormally increased or decreased levels of calcitonin, but pathologic effects of abnormal calcitonin secretion per se are not generally recognized.

There are several therapeutic uses for calcitonin. It is used to treat hypercalcemia resulting from a number of causes, and has been a valuable therapy for Paget disease, which is a disorder in bone remodeling. Calcitonin also appears to be a valuable aid in the management of certain types of osteoporosis.

--------

I am not very clear how this is affected by dairy? I would love it if you could explain this to me.

Calcitonin helps regulate calcium in the blood... that is pretty much I got from it.

Oh I also found this under another article

------------

A healthy diet. A diet high in fruits and vegetables and low in animal fat can reduce your risk of many types of cancer. The American Cancer Society recommends eating at least five servings of fruits and vegetables every day. They contain antioxidants, which protect your cells from damage that occurs as a result of normal metabolism. In addition, emphasize unsaturated fats (omega-3 fatty acids), especially those found in salmon and other fish, because they may help protect against cancer. Maintaining a healthy weight can also help protect against many diseases, including cancer of the thyroid.

all good but he fish part... it first says unsaturated fat and then it says fish.... ironic...

---------------------------

AHA Recommendation (american heart association

* Limit foods high in saturated fat, trans fat and/or cholesterol, such as whole-milk dairy products, fatty meats, tropical oils, partially hydrogenated vegetable oils and egg yolks. Instead choose foods low in saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol. Here are some helpful tips:

o Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables.

o Eat a variety of grain products, including whole grains.

o Eat fish at least twice a week, particularly fatty fish.

o Include fat-free and low-fat milk products, legumes (beans), skinless poultry and lean meats.

o Choose fats and oils with 2 grams or less saturated fat per tablespoon, such as liquid and tub margarines, canola, corn, safflower, soy bean and olive oils.

----------------

they say low fat meat because if they wrote no meat and no milk they would get sued by the meat and dairy industry.

Plus 1 fillet of salmon has 166 mg of cholesterol 55% of daily allowance... 1.8 g of saturated fat. and 63.8 grams of unhealthy animal protein to leach calcium from the bones. It would take you 108 minutes to burn it off.

Edited by RAINRA

I was like wow the studies are really biased and paid by these industries to push the health of their product.

I hate studies.... cause they are full of shit! Sorry but I got to say that... these scientists are useless pieces of shit who are biased as hell... plus many articles and studies are like... "we found this but.... we are not sure about the evidence we need more research is needed...." well damn....!!! then what the hell are you doing .... with your studies... I just don't get it. I guess there is just not enough independent funding to show the other true side of things.

Basically the human body never expected to consume another animals milk so make sense that the body would have odd side effects from it.

Edited by RAINRA