Howdy from Connecticut!

Shaun

Hey everyone. My name is Shaun, and I live in Connecticut. I've only been vegan for about a month. I have really no sort of training experience at all, but I really have always wanted to get into it. I want to work for strength rather than size, if that's a possibility. I'm an avid cyclist.. Not in any professional sense at all though.. I ride a fixed gear bicycle around as my main means of transportation, and I plan on getting a touring bike and riding from Connecticut to Washington this summer.

I'll most likely ask a bunch of annoying novice questions and bother at least of few of you, but just bear with me and try and be patient! I really am interested in sticking around here... and if you have any tips for me, I'd be glad to hear them!

Welcome!

I have to disagree with Hsorlando on the high rep suggestion. If you are going for lifting strength then pushing high weight to failure in the low rep range (4-6) will engage the muscle fibers responsible for strength. If you want endurance strength then go for lighter weights in a higher rep range (15 and above) to engage those muscle fibers. Expect to put on some muscle mass either way.

Good luck with your goals!

Oh no, I'm totally fine by way of endurance, I just want to be able to lift a lot... The thought of being really strong appeals to me, and always has, so I'm finally doing it.

And I live in Berlin. It's the very center of the state.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome. Check out 'VeganEssential's" journal and perhaps try to contact him for help. Ive lifted for strength too also. Not my goal at the moment but.

What DV said, 4-6 rep range but if I could add my own little two cents. I'd start with at least 3 weeks of lifting with med-high repetitions, like say 12-15 before embarking on a low rep range program just so that you can develop some sort of endurance to better help adapt to lifting heavy and in a vigorous fashion in regards to pounding on your tendons and ligaments. Also, rest more (3-5 min) in between lower rep sets as opposed to 45 sec - 2 min.

It was the very first thing an accomplished natural bb told me when i was first introduced to weights in high school and it stuck with me.

Enjoy the forum.

Welcome, Shaun!

If you get into weight training, be prepared to gain strength AND size, usually they go hand in hand. Don't worry, it's much more fun being larger!

You can never ask too much novice questions. However, it is wise to use the search since many questions have been answered already. But even if you ask questions that have been answered 100 times before, no one will complain about it and you'll be answered briefly. This is a really friendly community, hope you'll fit in well!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...