Recovery drinks?

angieh

Hi! I'm new here, have been reading up on posts, and am really excited about the postitive support you all provide. My husband and I are beginning a new routine this week. We aren't looking to body-build per-se to start with, just get stronger, build lean mass and lose fat. We're beginning P90X for excersize, but, of course, are not doing thier diet. I've been researching diet for a long time (China Study and McDougall program, anyone?), but until I found this site had little info specific to athletics and veganism.

One question that I have after poking around VeganBodyBuilding and doing a few searches: How necessary are recovery drinks? If they are, is there a homeade something that will serve the purpose -- especially since we are in "get fit" mode instead of trying to get ripped? The research I've done so far leads me to think that a glass of OJ and a handful of nuts after a workout may fit the bill. Am I way off base? Any pointing to existing threads or articles that address this (or other "you must eat this at this time" info as opposed to making sure your day in general is balanced) would be much appreciated!

(Oh, don't get me wrong, being ripped would be awesome fun! We're just not there yet.)

--Angie

Absolutely necessary? No. Helpful? Probably.

Relatively simple carbs and some protein. No fat immediately after working out.

The idea is to replenish blood sugar levels as soon as possible, and also ensure your amino pool isn't too depleted. Otherwise, the thinking goes, your body will destroy muscle tissue to fuel as much of its recovery as possible.

I haven't seen anything showing that post-workout drinks are useless, on the contrary I feel they tend to help me recover faster. I don't feel nearly as beaten shortly after working out and feel that I can do more the following day.

I'm currently using waxy maize starch, bcaa's, rice and pea protein. Works well but it's overkill if you're just getting a feel for things.

OJ is probably a good choice. Try with and without and see how your body responds.