Want to buy some home equipment. Suggestions, please!

Hi Everybody,

G&G Fitness is having a two-day sale, and I would like to set up a home gym, so today might be the day! (I was frustrated the Y was closed yesterday, when my husband generously offered to watch the kids so I could go workout.)

I'm a beginner, so I was thinking of a set of DBs; does anyone have any preferences: adjustable plates or fixed? I have a stability ball, but do I also need a bench? I'd like to get a bar for squats, lunges, etc., but can I get by with just DBs?

My husband is a competitive road cyclist, and he bought a leg press machine and a leg extension machine a few years ago, so we have a little start there!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Emily

On dumbbells I prefer fixed. However, it's all in the room you have to store them.... plates will not make or break dumbbells.

I don't use balls at all, so my preference is a good bench. Yes, you can use dumbbells in place of barbells. You may want to consider purchasing bars later if in your budget. Be sure you have enough weight to progress. A power rack is Divine if in your budget. It has become my best friend! lol I use a PowerTec Rack and have been very satisfied with it. You will need to do something for calves ... but can "make" a step if you don't have one for extensions. If you get a rack a pull down cable is nice I have found especially for lats. As far as plates etc ... stick to Olympic and not standard... you will thank me later for not having to "double" purchase when you go to upgrade. ALSO.... in the spring look for yard sales when everyone who bought equipment and its collecting dust will be selling, you can pick up some amazing deals. As well as watching you local freecycle board and craigs list.

If you can't do it all at once, don't worry! It takes time to build up a good collection of toys

Thanks SeaSiren! My husband and I went to look today; he likes a Smith machine, as do I, and I wanted an incline/decline bench. All together about $1300.00. So we are thinking about it overnight.

My kids were playing on the Power Plate machines, and my 8 year-old son said, "you should ask Dad for a vibrating thing for your birthday", which of course made us laugh!

I think you'd get the most mileage out of an olympic barbell set. At lot of the ones have 35 lbs bars, which shouldn't be too much to manage as a minimum.

Plus they're relatively cheap. I got my 300 lb set for about $125. $1300 is quite a bit to spend for specialized equipment when you're just starting out.

Sometimes the plates also have a pretty large gripping area, so you can use the plate like a dumbbell/kettlebell if so desired.

Thanks for your advice, chrisjs. But my husband just commented on what a great deal he thinks that is! He'll be using it, too. I like to go to the gym, but he hates it and would rather workout at home. And my time isn't always mine since I have three kids under 12, so having something here would ensure that I could be consistent.

I was just in the basement, and my husband already has an Olympic barbell. Score!

The uses of a smith machine are very limited. I think it's a waste of money.

Get yourself a good power rack, olympic barbell set with plates, and an adjustible bench (one that can lay flat, go on incline, and go 90 degrees).

For a couple hundred bucks you could get an adjustible db set too.

This would be under $1000 and far more useful than a Smith.

Thanks xveganjoshx, nice photos in the "what do you weigh" thread, btw.

I was leaning towards the smith as it seems a bit safer than a rack, since I'll be working without a spotter. Of course, the rack was on sale too, and considerably cheaper. We'll decide today.

My husband called his brother for some advice and he said, "I'll sell you my Smith machine." I love it when you tell people about an expensive piece of equipment you are going to buy, and they reply with: Buy mine, I never use it!

Emily

Thanks xveganjoshx, nice photos in the "what do you weigh" thread, btw.

Thanks!

I was leaning towards the smith as it seems a bit safer than a rack, since I'll be working without a spotter.

Unfortunately this isn't true. Once you set the safety pins, it's just as safe as a smith. The disadvantages of a smith are that it's locked in a plane so the movements will be unnatural and will not work your stablilizers. You can also do alot less with a smith than a power rack. Also, that bar is attached to the machine, meaning you can't do free weight stuff with it (for example cleans). Unless you go and buy another Oly bar.

I believe if you buy a smith you will regret it within 6 months once you see it's limited usefulness. But it's your call, not mine. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

MAN! Our smith machine was delivered and built today. One of the delivery guys said, "I love this machine. I use it everytime I go to the gym." Well, in that case, you think he would've noticed he put it together wrong!

They hung the swinging-things that attach to the bar and catch on the hooks are upside down. And they won't spin around, so they have to come back and dis-assemble/re-assemble.

I did a better job putting the flat/incline/decline bench!

Emily