Dairy Cows Union In The Making?

strawberryriddick

Looks like more Temple Grandin work on exploiting animals and making people feel better about it because the animals are "happy".

It may be a step in a direction but I don't know if it is the right direction for the animals involved

I saw on tv a farmer saying about his new methods - his cows are standing on sand instead of on straw or whatever. He says his cows are "happy" and they love to lie down on the sand all day. He says this is "total comfort" and that they love so much to lie down on the sand that he needs to make them stand up to make them go eat; and 5 minutes later he says that the cows are happier on sand so that when it's time to eat they all stand up right away

Kind of an all-or-nothing sentiment I'm feeling here. As a Marine, there are four phases: boot camp, MCT, MOS school, and the Fleet. In each phase, you are not your own. You are government property and, as such, are denied some basic rights. Despite this, each "phase" gets you treated slightly better, but never regain your personhood. Yes, I volunteered and these cows didn't, but the sentiment remains the same: it is far better to be in a shitty situation and treated with some regard to your mental stability than to be in a shitty situation and treated like shit. It doesn't take a large leap of the imagination to know you'd choose the former over the latter. We'd all opt to not be enslaved, that goes without saying, but that's not a realistic option right now and may never be, so I'm happy their happiness is being considered and documented since the alternative is much worse. Who cares if it's a ploy to make people feel better or if a guy can't remember if his cows are or aren't too comfortable to get up and eat? At the end of the day, the cows are getting better treatment, and that's what's important. Not our personal ideals and preferences, not our theories on motive, but their treatment. If you'll only be happy when the world finally agrees with you, you'll never be happy.

So they will be milked and eaten, like they have been since their domestication, but at least the industry is recognizing they need to be treated humanely. They do it for monetary purposes, but that doesn't negate the fact that they do it.

Kind of an all-or-nothing sentiment I'm feeling here. As a Marine, there are four phases: boot camp, MCT, MOS school, and the Fleet. In each phase, you are not your own. You are government property and, as such, are denied some basic rights. Despite this, each "phase" gets you treated slightly better, but never regain your personhood. Yes, I volunteered and these cows didn't, but the sentiment remains the same: it is far better to be in a shitty situation and treated with some regard to your mental stability than to be in a shitty situation and treated like shit. It doesn't take a large leap of the imagination to know you'd choose the former over the latter. We'd all opt to not be enslaved, that goes without saying, but that's not a realistic option right now and may never be, so I'm happy their happiness is being considered and documented since the alternative is much worse. Who cares if it's a ploy to make people feel better or if a guy can't remember if his cows are or aren't too comfortable to get up and eat? At the end of the day, the cows are getting better treatment, and that's what's important. Not our personal ideals and preferences, not our theories on motive, but their treatment. If you'll only be happy when the world finally agrees with you, you'll never be happy.

So they will be milked and eaten, like they have been since their domestication, but at least the industry is recognizing they need to be treated humanely. They do it for monetary purposes, but that doesn't negate the fact that they do it.

The difference between welfarists and liberationalists is deeply rooted in the AR community, going way back to when people first started considering the lives of animals at hand. Neither group will convince the other that their mindset and plan of action is correct.

Both groups should do what they feel is best.

The difference between welfarists and liberationalists is deeply rooted in the AR community, going way back to when people first started considering the lives of animals at hand. Neither group will convince the other that their mindset and plan of action is correct.

Both groups should do what they feel is best.

You speak the truth, my friend!