5x5

Hello everyone....

How does the 5x5 work?

Do you chose a weight that equals your 5 rep max and try to hit 5 reps for 5 sets? What do you do if you fall short... say 2 reps on the last 2 sets? do you take some weight off? or continue at that weight till you can complete 5 on each set?

Has anybody heard of the 5x10? Basically you do one 5x5 workout and a 10x10 the next time.

Thanks

Hello everyone....

How does the 5x5 work?

Do you chose a weight that equals your 5 rep max and try to hit 5 reps for 5 sets? What do you do if you fall short... say 2 reps on the last 2 sets? do you take some weight off? or continue at that weight till you can complete 5 on each set?

Has anybody heard of the 5x10? Basically you do one 5x5 workout and a 10x10 the next time.

Thanks

The general rule of thumb for 5x5 is you should only be able to lift the weight 4-6 times. If you do 2 on your last set, add another set of 3 to finish it. The idea is to get to 25 reps, even if you have to split it up differently near the end.

10x10 sounds stupid, haha. Ten sets is just unnecessary. Mentzer would have a fit hearing about that, haha.

lol... ya. i agree 10x10 sounds pretty stupid. I don't know if there's any scientific or 'experience' evidence to prove it's value but i know i personally wouldn't be able o get through half of it!

Thanks for the info on 5x5. Have you tried that protocol?

I was training DC style before. I didn't really like it. I love the intensity but feel i need a little more volume.

Me too! I started the 5x5 method after my boyfriend pointed it out to me on Crossfit. After doing this program for a month, 2x/week, I've started to increase my the weight I'm lifting as well as see the added benefit of leaning out!