Problems with shoulder and bench press.

Hi @ all,

I got some questions about bench and shoulder press...

My bench press really isn't going anywhere. I'm at a 70 pound dumbbell press now (3x5 reps), I've hardly made any progress during the last years. I used to do only the barbell variation with about 8-10 reps unsurprisingly I didn't get anywhere.

I did try a lot of variations, right now I do a max of 5 reps I start with dumbbells on a flat bench and then go on to the smith machine and do incline press.

I don't seem to use my triceps at all, only my chest (near the shoulders) feels sore sometimes on the next day.

I was really happy about my shoulder press (I sit down leaning back very slightly) doing 3x10 reps at 65 pounds.

Problem here is I can't get the 70 pound dumbbells into starting position. Just to heavy. I have similar problems with the incline bench (therefore the smith machine). I usually lay the DBs down on the floor and then snatch them up and press like hell till I'm in start position. I see guys just kick them off their thighs but this doesn't work for me.

For some reason I can't nearly do that much weight when I use a barbell or the smith machine.

I've seen people do a shoulder press where they turn the palms inwards and let the weight come all the way down to the shoulders. Isn't it bad for your joints to let your elbows lower than your shoulders?

If not this could help me out...

My bench press really isn't going anywhere. I'm at a 70 pound dumbbell press now (3x5 reps), I've hardly made any progress during the last years. I used to do only the barbell variation with about 8-10 reps unsurprisingly I didn't get anywhere.

I did try a lot of variations, right now I do a max of 5 reps I start with dumbbells on a flat bench and then go on to the smith machine and do incline press.

I don't seem to use my triceps at all, only my chest (near the shoulders) feels sore sometimes on the next day.

I'm not sure what your goal is, but if it is to become a strong benchpresser I would do the following:

1) Switch to barbell benchpress

2) Look over your technique: Shoulderblades retracted, solid arch, feets firmly planted in the ground etc. This should be roughly the same for DB bench I guess.

3) Try some kind of progressive bench program. For instance you could try a simple linear progression where you each weak to 5x5 and each week add 5kg to the bar until you stall. The lower the weight and start over.

I was really happy about my shoulder press (I sit down leaning back very slightly) doing 3x10 reps at 65 pounds.

Problem here is I can't get the 70 pound dumbbells into starting position. Just to heavy. I have similar problems with the incline bench (therefore the smith machine). I usually lay the DBs down on the floor and then snatch them up and press like hell till I'm in start position. I see guys just kick them off their thighs but this doesn't work for me.

For some reason I can't nearly do that much weight when I use a barbell or the smith machine.

What you write below suggests that you are not doing these pressed in full ROM. If you start using full ROM you will probably have to use less weights and the problem would be gone. I would anyway suggest standing presses instead, I think they are a more natural movement and gives some training for the core stabilizing muscles. And there wont be a problem getting the bar to the shoulder .

I've seen people do a shoulder press where they turn the palms inwards and let the weight come all the way down to the shoulders. Isn't it bad for your joints to let your elbows lower than your shoulders?

I dont do too much dumbell presses, but I know for sure that letting the elbows lower than the shoulder shouldnt be a problem unless you have some shoulder problem allready. If you are not letting the elbows lower than the shoulders you are missing out on 2/3 of the ROM.

If you have problems getting into the starting position for seated DB overhead presses, there are 3 other options for you:

1. Get someone to assist with starting positioning. I'm sure you can get one into your proper position with 2 hands if necessary, and simply ask someone else to lift the other DB and set it in your hand to get them both to the shoulder. If you were able to get 3x10 with the 65s, then it shouldn't be that bad getting the 70s up starting from the lowered position. That, and starting off overhead pressing shouldn't require a stretch reflex action to get that first rep - if that's the case, then it's just too heavy.

2. Learn how to do a 2-DB powerclean to get them into position (may take a bit of practice to get it, but I'm assuming it wouldn't be that long until you'd manage), done in front of your seated spot, and once you've got them to shoulder, just sit back with them and you're in position. Yes, there's a bit of energy expenditure to get the clean done first, but it shouldn't interfere with your pressing much, if at all, and you can get those 70s into spot easily with practice.

3. Do 1-arm presses instead of both at once. Work on cleaning a single DB into position, and press it for reps, then set it down, switch and repeat. Most people find that they lean a bit with 1-arm presses and make it a bit of a side-press, but I've found that doing it standing and holding on to a power rack beam or something similar helps me to keep upright as much as possible.

There's more than one way to get there, so if you can't move on the way you had before, try something new and see what happens.

Bronco was spot-on with his comments. Also, with overhead pressing, the shoulders come into activation the most from the first half of the position from dead bottom to a bit over the head. After you get a few inches over the head, triceps kick in big-time for most people on the last half to 1/3 of the movement for overhead pressing (unless, of course, you're doing jerks or something with a quick-snapping movement), so it is less beneficial for the shoulders overall to not be going alll the way down on each rep. Of course, as Bronco said, if there's a pre-existing condition or injury, that may affect your ROM, but if not, you're short-changing yourself by not lowering the bar or DBs all the way down to the shoulders. Many people don't go all way down for one reason alone - it's HARDER than doing 2/3 or 3/4 reps, but it's definitely the better way to go. It's not harder on the shoulders, just harder to make as much weight for as many reps, and people typically want to take the easy way out, so don't fall for that one

Here's a motivational overhead press video for you by one of the up and coming best in the strongman biz -

And, with no surprise, he never seems to have had any shoulder problems