Healthy Horsedoc from AZ

horsedoc

Hi,

I was really glad to find this forum as it describes what the journey I am presently on: Vegan Bodybuilding as part of a Fitness lifestyle. I am new to vegetarianism/veganism but not to bodybuilding. I did competitive bodybuilding in the mid 90's and did very well. But it got too self-focusing and regaining the weight and bodyfat wreaked havoc with me mentally. Since then I have been fairly fit and active and into "bodysculpting" and a holistic lifestyle of fitness.

My life motto seems to be "Always looking for a better way". Whether this is in my professional (veterinary medicine) or personal life quest.

I have found through the years that I am very sensitive to starchy carbs and gluten and do best on a diet consisting mainly of protein and lots of veggies. And I have eaten clean for years with almost no processed foods. But I still would have Liver Qi Stagnation so something needed to change. Hence it is for health reasons that I have embarked on the new approach to nutrition through vegetarianism. In the past I felt as I could not really handle starches including beans and lentils, rice and pasta that it would be extremely difficult to maintain the lean muscular healthy body I desire on a vegetarian diet. But then I found this website and forum and I am very hopeful it can be done.

*I am hoping to get advice on a nutrition plan that does not use much soy to do this.*

My Stats:

49 year-old female

Height: 5'1"

Current Weight: 110 lb.

Goal Weight: 105 lb.

Current Bodyfat: 15%

Goal Bodyfat: 12%

Overall Long-Term Goal: Maintain Lean Healthy Fit Energetic Body

(In other words Look Good/Feel Good)

I use Turbulence Training for my workouts and interval cardio. It is a great program and my body has responded well to it and it is one I can stick with forever. New routine every 4 weeks and 1 week off every 3 months. Great support community but lacking in vegan support and mostly overweight folks looking to lose weight/fat and a few athletes.

Don't know that I will ever compete again as I am fairly introverted, but want to be in good enough shape that if I decided to compete I would just need to start pre-contest cutting about 8-10 weeks out.

I do best on a somewhat structured plan for nutrition but no weighing of food. Don't mind eating a lot of the same thing. I am a mobile veterinarian so I don't eat much during the day the 3 days of the week I am on the road. But try to stay very hydrated here.

I look forward to gleaning from the wisdom of this list and supporting others along my journey.

Debra

Welcome! Have your tried using pseudograins for your protein source such as quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, wild rice. And seeds such as hemp, sunflower. Also nuts? I would recommend reading the thrive diet by brendan brazier. it has a lot of recipes in it that are grain free. all are gluten and soy free. They are all very yummy too. Good luck with reaching your goals!

Well, my quest for health has led me to try Raw Vegan with a lot of green smoothies which I really like so far. I did overdue nuts one day and after eating so low fat I inadvertantly caused a gall bladder cleanse!

I have been using FitDay.com to track my calories and it is hard to get enough while keeping the fat grams down. Grains of any type I have never done well on and I can do some nuts/seeds such as almonds, pecans, flax, hemp.

I have had a lot more energy and not tired even though I have been getting much less sleep due to hi energy lasting all day!

I just finished my 12th consecutive week of intense training so my program recommends strongly taking a week off from hard training and keeping it light and easy before hitting another 12 weeks again.

Debra

Welcome, Debra!

My life motto seems to be "Always looking for a better way"

Hey! It's a bit like xjohanx's way of thinking "Always looking better"

By looking at your stats you have to be in really good condition! But hey, don't lower your BF % if it's already 15 %! Women need more body fat than men for proper hormone balance and such and 12 % is too low to be maintained for longer periods if I have read my books correctly.

Anyway, have a great time here!

Thanks Tuc for the welcome and advice.

I am going to try and get my husband to take pictures this weekend. I am fit by most folks standards but would really like to get my legs leaner and my waistline smaller. For me it is really about how I want to look and feel more than weight and BF percentages. That being said, they are good monitors of progress. So I also am going to try and get my husband to do body caliper measurements as well.

The biggest thing is figuring out my day to day diet plan, one that I can stay on and enjoy for life. I am following basically the 80/10/10 style of raw and so far and doing pretty well on it but have not been 100% raw every day. Still transitioning and learning.

Debra

You seem very dedicated and are being smart about it. As women we have these ridiculous goals in society based on weight and clothing size rather than being fit, strong and looking great. They would prefer to be a skinny 108lbs and a size 2 than be 130lbs size 4-6 and look phenomenal. I can't wait to see your pics.