Wrists and forearms.

There was another post about this somewhere.

Nobody wants skinny forearms and wrists. If you got nice upper arms, it's only right you make the whole arm look good. You know what kills my forearms? Pullups. Those are great. Hammer curls help too.

I'm extremely skinny, so it's critical to build up my forearms and wrists. I don't want to sacrifice speed for size, though. What are the best ways to do this? Any links for me?

Well, first off, not sure how much of the wrist you're hoping to increase size on, but there's only so much you can do for your wrists at the base where they meet your hand. Not much you can do to increase actual wrist size much, except just doing all-out forearm work and hoping that things get bigger in time. I think my wrists only gained about 1/3" diameter in size in all my years training, so not much you're going to see in gains in the wrist area that you'll expect to notice. Of course, building bigger forearms overall will give a better appearance to the contrast between wrist and the rest of your arm, so anything you can do for forearm growth will accentuate the difference in overall size (even though wrist area will barely ever change in size, the more your forearms grow, the less you'll care since it'll look better as you increase your forearm size).

Next, regarding sacrificing speed for size, I unfortunately don't have any idea what that refers to. You're never going to bulk your lower arm so much that it's going to hinder your wrist speed for dexterous activities, so I wouldn't even give that a moment of thought as it has no application to anything, really. Injuring your wrist and/or lack of use for dexterous activities will cause slowness, but adding a bit of forearm size won't change a thing.

As for forearm size, my recommendation is to look up the long threads here regarding grip training as they'll have plenty of ideas. Everything from the basics (hammer curls, wrist curls, etc.) to thick bar lifting, pinch gripping, levering and other recommendations will be found there. I spent a lot of time on those threads - too much to re-type it all again, but just look for the longer threads on forearm and grip work and you'll find a ton of info. And, of course, I always recommend www.gripboard.com as you won't find a greater resource for everything related to strengthening yourself from the elbow on down. Hope this helps a bit!

• 2 weeks later...

I personally never went to crazy on forearm work and actually rarely if ever do any forearm training these days. I find just by increasing poundages in back work, bis, chest work, doing shrugs, etc - all in time with increase overall arm size, including forearms. If you did heavy compound movements, it is not as if you would suddenly have large upper arms with skinny forearms.