Vegan from Chile.

Liberacion-Igualdad

Hey fellow vegan-primates! I’m Samuel, from Chile.

I knew about this website thru a vegan friend, and have been reading everything on it for more than a month now. Really helpful information!

I became Vegan 2 years ago, strictly for ethical reasons, and I’ve been pretty active in my vegan/Animal Rights outreach for the most part of them. Although it might sound strange, this is the first and most important reason why I am here!

Since becoming vegan I’ve been really healthy and energetic, but I lost quite a lot of weight. I was, indeed, fitting into the skinny-vegan stereotype quite well (I’m about 5’9 and reached an all-time weight-low at128 lbs around 8 months ago!)

Realizing that most humans draw conclusions and make generalizations simply out of looking at someone (physique, clothing, etc) I decided to get rid of my skinny body in order to avoid prejudice and wrong impressions about the adequacy of a vegan lifestyle.

I also got motivated to do this after debating with a nonvegan friend of mine who plays rugby and is building big muscles. He was still wary about whether a vegan diet can provide sufficient protein to build muscles, despite me sending him lots of peer-reviewed papers on nutrition that state it is absolutely possible. So I decided to show him, face-to-face, that all that scientific evidence isn’t just ‘propaganda’!

The second reason to be here is that I had a really ugly injury last year. I dislocated my shoulder (not the first time) while visiting a small town, and because there wasn’t “adequate personnel” when I got to the local hospital, they had me waiting 24 hours with nothing but a lousy and ineffective “pain relief” (and I can tell you, I felt no freaking relief!)

Because of all the time spent with the shoulder out of its place, the damage was huge and recovery incredibly slow. I lost pretty much all muscles in my right shoulder and the right-side of my back.

For this to never happen again, I was given 2 options. Surgery or build/fortify my deltoids. I’m working hard to make of the latter the right choice.

Of course, I won’t deny, there’s a third reason that’s as shallow as it could be. Vanity! No need to give more details here.

I’m a musician, drums being my main instrument. I’m also a naturalist/atheist (also active in this regard, as I think that supernaturalism, specially organized religions, are more dangerous and harmful than what most humans believe.) And although I certainly need more reading and thinking on this respect, what I’ve read about social anarchism makes the more sense thus far.

I’m a lengthy-posts writer too, as you might have noticed!

All the best,

Samuel.

Welcome to the forums, Samuel! You should be able to get all the info and inspiration you need here to prove your rugby-playing buddy wrong! Good luck with your recovery from the shoulder injury... ouch!

Cheers,

Trev

Wow, quite an intro!

Your motives are quite similar to mine, even though we live in other sides of our planet.

Good luck with your project! I can tell that people really stop telling that you can't build muscles as a vegan when you become stronger than them.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody!

Trev, I certainly have found info and inspiration here already. I also have expanded greatly my english vocabulary. My english is still quite miserable when it comes to specific areas... like bodybuilding. I didn't have a clue about what a 'barbell', a 'dumbell', a 'squat', and a big et cetera, meant. Hours googling have helped.

Tuc, it really gives me great hope to know there are ethical vegans all-around the world. Sounds like a really comprehensive social movement is on its way, eh?

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
nice to meet you sam, we seem to have much in common!!! skinny vegan musicians with shoulder injuries and a disdain for organized religion! hope your shoulder rehab goes well man and keep in touch!

peace!

Me oh my! Yes we have a lot in common. Perhaps we are twins, separated at birth blah blah...

What happened to your shoulder? Dislocation?

What instrument do you play? We could start the 'skinny-atheist-f*cked-up-shoulder-vegan band'. Whatcha think? Not too catchy?

Ok, I think I should go and read your intro instead of asking here.

And thanks for the welcome everybody.