It is worse to eat dairy/eggs than it is to eat meat

compassionategirl

Here is an excerpt from the latest edition (2006) of the book IN DEFENSE OF ANIMALS:

"While alternative, "humane" animal agriculture is growing in popularity and may be preferable to factory farming, virtually all animal agriculture involves a substantial degree of animal suffering and death. As long as eating meat is considered acceptable, farmed animals will not rise above the status of consumables. Eating dairy and egg products may actually be worse than eating meat, since the hens and cows are used to produce them are among the animals who sufer the longest and the worst, after which they, too, are killed. We need to question the very concept of marketing sentient beings. Welfare reforms can lessen their suffering but will not make it right."

-Jim Mason, Journalist, Attorney, Author.

Indeed, some animal advocates argue, rather reasonably and plausibly, that welfare movements can actually be counterproductive to the extent that they may make people feel "guilt free" about eating meat and therefore actually discourage the ultimate goal of veganism.

I have my own views on this which were expressed at length on the veganfitness board many moons ago. Dont want to repeat them all here, but I really just wanted to post that excerpt because it raises the issue of "vegetarians have it wrong - it would make a much greater impact to to boycott eggs and dairy and just keep eating meat, than the other way around!".

Of course, veganism is the best way to remove your support of animal exploitation.

okay now I gotta get back to writing this paper

peace

Yeah Mason is a good writer. Basically I agree that factory farmed eggs and dairy are worse than meat. But I have a friend who has chickens that live in his backyard, they have free roam of the place and he eats the unfertilized eggs. I don't think those hens suffer from it

Anybody who knows about dirty little secret of dairy farms do not consume dairy products if person has any heart and moral sense.

Many dairy farmers throw new born male calves in dead pile alive and let them freeze to death or starve to death while mother cows are crying desperately to find their babies.

Most people don't eat veal today therefore dairy farmers don't waste their $ to raise male calves knowing there is no profit to make.

www.buzzle.com/editorials/10-1-2003-46048.asp

Mario is saved but nearly every dairy farm across country, calves are thrown away like gargarbage in dead piles.

Expert in farm animals of Humane Society of the United States said this kind of practice is common in dairy farms.

Nobody wants to speak about little dirty secret of dairy farms but I am sure any serious animal rights activist knows all about it.

Anybody who knows about dirty little secret of dairy farms do not consume dairy products if person has any heart and moral sense.

Many dairy farmers throw new born male calves in dead pile alive and let them freeze to death or starve to death while mother cows are crying desperately to find their babies.

Most people don't eat veal today therefore dairy farmers don't waste their $ to raise male calves knowing there is no profit to make.

www.buzzle.com/editorials/10-1-2003-46048.asp

Mario is saved but nearly every dairy farm across country, calves are thrown away like gargarbage in dead piles.

Expert in farm animals of Humane Society of the United States said this kind of practice is common in dairy farms.

Nobody wants to speak about little dirty secret of dairy farms but I am sure any serious animal rights activist knows all about it.

fair enough, i already knew about this. it sickens me.

but why do you need to finish virtually every post with " a serious animal rights activist would know/care/do some thing about it/get angry/hop on one leg".

you are alienating the very people who you are ideologically nearest to. you imply that those who dont seeth with rage at every little thing are 'luke warm activists'. everyone has different moral priorities - alot of people are vegan not because they are particularly affected by animal rights, only that they do alot of other work (say political activism) and its just logical in terms of their moral framework for them to be vegan.

an example of such are some friends of a friend in south africa. they are social activists/anarchists but also happen to be vegan. i mean how are we supposed to convince people who arent especially concerned with the plight of animals (which most people arent) if we have some crazed person demanding total subscription to what is almost an animal rights faith.

why do feel the need to do this?

jonathan

Anybody who knows about dirty little secret of dairy farms doesn't consume dairy products if person has any heart and moral sense.

Few days ago, somebody advised me to read my message carefully before submit.

She also advised me to read messages of people carefully to avoid misunderstanding.

I forgot her advice but when I was getting ready to go YWCA for swimming, I remembered what she said.

It is very hard for me to type message in English language because I was educated in Japanese language.

Anybody who knows about dirty little secret of dairy farms doesn't consume dairy products if person has any heart and moral sense.

Few days ago, somebody advised me to read my message carefully before submit.

She also advised me to read messages of people carefully to avoid misunderstanding.

I forgot her advice but when I was getting ready to go YWCA for swimming, I remembered what she said.

It is very hard for me to type message in English language because I was educated in Japanese language.

You are wearing out your welcome big time.

sinisterkungfu, here is what you said to me.

sinisterkungfu, I just corrected my grammar.

When you became moderator?

Why do you keep attacking me?

I've never acted like, nor claimed to be a moderator.

The majority, if not every single one of your posts is offensive, insulting and degrading.

You talk down to everyone, and act like you're better than other people because of your extremist views.

You post a bunch of garbage and expect people to convert to your unreasonable line of thought.

I don't like you, I don't have the slightest shred of respect for you, and nothing you have ever typed on this message board, or on VF.net has led me to believe you are anything but mentally unstable and in serious need of psychiatric help.

You've managed to alienate, offend or insult nearly everyone on this board at one time or another. These other people are just alot nicer than me about it.

I really dont see in shades of grey.

Im vegan, and I dont like animal cruelty.

Daniel made this point a few weeks ago -- that there is no hierarchy in suffering.

i'm with ya, but i think the point of this is for ovo-lacto vegetarians who care about ethics.

Dont want to repeat them all here, but I really just wanted to post that excerpt because it raises the issue of "vegetarians have it wrong - it would make a much greater impact to to boycott eggs and dairy and just keep eating meat, than the other way around!".

i think if more vegetarians knew of this, they'd be more likely to go vegan.

sinisterkungfu, here is what you said to me.

sinisterkungfu, I just corrected my grammar.

When you became moderator?

Why do you keep attacking me?

I've never acted like, nor claimed to be a moderator.

The majority, if not every single one of your posts is offensive, insulting and degrading.

You talk down to everyone, and act like you're better than other people because of your extremist views.

You post a bunch of garbage and expect people to convert to your unreasonable line of thought.

I don't like you, I don't have the slightest shred of respect for you, and nothing you have ever typed on this message board, or on VF.net has led me to believe you are anything but mentally unstable and in serious need of psychiatric help.

You've managed to alienate, offend or insult nearly everyone on this board at one time or another. These other people are just alot nicer than me about it.

but even thjough i think that violet13 is a t-dog you've gotta admire/laugh at the single minded hate/drive that's inspiring him/her.

it's pretty funny, just a bit embarrassing that it's not a fake account.