bee pollen

I guess as much as I care about insects being hurt in the harvesting of the fruit and veggies I eat???

I just don't see how it is much different

I don't think it is truly as simple as people make it out to be.

Well, then you've made your choice, which is fine, and I think it's a defensible position.

As far as insects being hurt in harvesting, I simply do as much as I can to avoid it. I eat organic and local, and I shop at farmers markets. The only alternative is to give up fruits and veggies entirely, which isn't an option. With bees, though, it's simple. All I have to avoid are honey, bee pollen, beeswax, and related products. It's hardly a sacrifice.

RainRA I'm male... lol !

But it is so like people do in life. People say they can't go vegan because it is too hard. Well I agree if that is your mind set then find I believe you because your not ready to accept a different view on life. Vegans remember are not perfect. We probably kill ants on a massive scale without even thinking it. From walking to driving and so on ... does that mean we hide from the world. We rent or buy a new home and it causes deforestation. We could live in a shack and that would still kill insects and what not. The point is that if your alive and concious then you can make a choice. It is a simple as saying this or that. Honey steals from bees. Bees are harmed directly in the process. It is a commodity. It is a comfort food. Not a survival thing. If I go and intentionally cut down a tree then it is probably not vegan. Many animals live there. Now if I am going to die if I don't create shelter than I might have to cut that tree down. Sometimes it is just trying your best in the environment your in. If you live in a city there is not much in your power that you can do to undo what is already there. You can not bring back the forest that was once there.

If you were stranded in the dessert and all you had was some animal to eat and you would die if not I am sure as hard as it was most vegans would do whatever to save their own life. Being perfect is not the key again. Doing what you can and making that smarter choice. It is not about right and wrong but about being a better human towards living creatures. If not it would be just like some people would say the best thing to be eco or green is to not exist because then you would leave no carbon footprint. Those are extremes and not the point of veganism. Do your best and have the animals and insects in mind. Learning to live with fellow beings is one step to a more respectful life.

Killing insects indirectly through consumption of food + killing insects by eating honey, bee pollen, etc. = no problem

Killing insects indirectly through consumption of food + trying to avoid doing any more harm = hypocrite

Now, where's the logic in that?

If you accidentaly ran over a guy, would that mean that it's now OK to exploit and kill people for pleasure, just because you killed someone accidentaly?

As for "personal choice", I don't see it as such. Whenever your decision negatively impacts someone else, it's no longer personal. If you want to consume bee products - go ahead, but don't make lame excuses and try to make the issue seem all complex. Bee products = not vegan, therefore one who consumes them isn't vegan either.

P.S. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, that's just my opinion. Peace and understanding

I guess as much as I care about insects being hurt in the harvesting of the fruit and veggies I eat???

I just don't see how it is much different

I don't think it is truly as simple as people make it out to be.

I see it as quite different. The accidental killing and injuring of insects through harvesting is nearly impossible to avoid... you'd have to eat nothing harvested if you wanted to do that... grow 100% of your own food, pick it yourself slowly and carefully to avoid hurting any insect. It's not feasible.

On the other hand, not eating/using bee products is obviously feasible and quite easy.

We can't do everything, but we can do some things. The (practically) impossible shouldn't stop us from doing the possible.