Get the SCOOP ON FAT AND WATCH...

RAINRA

Still cooking with oils..

Friends and family still taking fish oil supplements...?

Why meat fat will never be healthy?

Sugar responsible for raising cholesterol

Stress responsible for raising cholesterol.

Watch to add this to your collection of nutrition. No B.S. Dr. Essylten and many others will back this information.

http://vsh.voip-info.org/Blake3.html

and no bashing my post! :0( get informed!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think he did a good job of organizing his talk to fit in what he wanted to say or to meet his goal of explaining things as clearly as he could. The talk did have two good things.

1. Perilla seeds, like flax seeds, are another omega 3 EFA power house. Always nice to have options.

2. That loading up on refined carbohydrates ( i.e. sweeteners, flours ) can lead to them being coverted to triglycerides ( fat ) in your blood and creating cardiovascular disease just as if you loaded up on fats. Dr. McDougal mentioned a similar situation in his 12 day plan book. One of his participants started eating a lot of fruit as a snack once on the program and boosted his triglycerides. I've seen to many vegans and low fat diet people think they can eat as much as they want without consequences.

I haven't read anything by McDougall. Just curious what you mean by a "lot" of fruit?

I don't have an exact number for you.

Dr. McDougal is one of the vegan MDs who recommends a very low fat vegan diet. He doesn't set a allowable percentage of daily fat and he strongly believes in NOT measuring food in any way. His theme is that if you eat low processed, low fat carbs you can eat as much as you like, lose weight and improve upon diet related diseases.

He runs/ran 12 day retreats to help get people started and he wrote a book by a similar name for people to try the 12 day trial at home. In the book he described several case studies from people who consulted him in person. One was a man in his 50s/60s, overweight and who had various diseases of overconsumption. Once this man was on the 12 day program various markers began to improve. Going with the "eat as much as you want as long as it is vegan, low fat and unrefined" theme this guy started using fruit as a between meal snack which resulted in jacking up his triglycerides, which went back down once he limited himself to just a few pieces of fruit a day.