May be the wrong forum, but whatevs....

So, at the risk of sounding like a Whiny Mcwhinestein i am thinking deeply about my choice to be a vegan. I dont question the ethics or why i do it but i was recently approached by my mother asking if the only reason i became vegan was to maintain a low weight.

Granted, i know a ot of people go vegan for weight loss and general health. However, atm i am a little underweight after suffering from an Eating Disorder and dropped down to about 155 at 6'3'' with a pretty large frame. Im just really frustrated, becuase to be honest i do not miss meat but now i have all these thoughts in my head that i may have just went to veganism in order to avoid foods that i thought of as 'less safe' of 'unhealthy'. Looking back on this week i have only been averaging like 15-1600 calories a day. Then there is the dietary fats question, i dont cook with them and tend to skimp on my avocados and nuts/nut butters. Its enough to drive you mad, MAD I SAY!

Im not sure what im looking for/asking by posting this, I suppose its a question of how you stay motivated to stick with the veganism day in and day out. Other than that, i guess this is mostly a rant at its finest... and for that i apologize. Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this and make sure you all have an amazing weekend!

I suppose its a question of how you stay motivated to stick with the veganism day in and day out. Other than that, i guess this is mostly a rant at its finest... and for that i apologize.

No problem on the rant. I don't see veganism as something that I have to "stick with". Being vegan is just a part of me, has been for two decades. As for motivation, animals are sentient beings with their own lives to live, it's that simple. I eat very well, not lacking anything at all. I'm just an inch taller than you 6'4" but pack 244 pounds on to that frame. Being vegan is no magic weight control program! I have never known anyone to stick with veganism long-term for health or weight control reasons. Do some research, understand what motivates real vegans and then go for it.

Veganism can be a much healthier dietary choice than others. Can Be? because you still have to consume enough calories for your size and goals and eat a variety of foods. (FYI -Veganism is more than just a dietary choice or we would be considered "strict vegetarians rather than vegans).

At your height 1500-1600 calories is not enough of a daily intake. Given your history I am very concerned that you are restricting calories or types of foods (fats in this instance). Do you have a support network currently such as a counselor or support group?

It's ok to rant

Your problem is not connected to veganism per se but to other factors. 1600 is not enough if you're naturally thin.

There are many on this board that have been vegan for a long time who are big. I've been vegan for 3 years and I'm 6''6' weighing 245lbs.