earaches while flying...remedies?

JW

my old trick is to breastfeed while flying... I haven't flown since my daughter was 2 though, so I don't know what to do when they are too old for that!

What about sipping water? I once had a sinus infection during a flight to New Orleans when I was a teenager, the pressure was so bad that I was crying and the flight attendant brought me water to sip... I think it worked pretty well.

she is turning 12 so water might be the better option

lol, yeah probably would be better.

Plug your nose close your mouth and blow your ears out!

I remember doing that too between sips... only REALLY, REALLY gently.

does she have allergies or something that causes her to get the earaches, or does she just have sensitive ears?

Plug your nose close your mouth and blow your ears out!

+1

Dr. told this me after plugged ear ended with ear ache, and antibiotics, hasn't happed since I learned this technique. amny years ago know. Fells wierd like you're going to blow your eardrums out but it hasn't happened yet. This usally happens to me even going to the beach over the Santa Cruz mountains, just about 2,000 feet high.

Daugter had the tubes inserted in her Eustachian tubes (tubes in ear connected to sinus) (tubes come out on thier own after time) when young, and never had any ear problem.

thanks all!

she doesn't have any allergies

the holding your nose and blowing thing works well for me personally but a flight attendant told us last flight that it can potentially do damage

It's pretty tough to see her in such pain and discomfort.

Hope things go better this time around. Especially since we have a stopover on route

I would suggest taking a night time medication (if it's a long flight) that might help her fall asleep and not think of the pain as much. Next best thing is the water idea.

On the last flight I was on (San Fran to Baltimore) I had an ear infection (at 24 I get them a bit frequently..small ear canals) I don't suggest blowing your ears out, I used to do this until my ENT told me I could blow my ear drum doing it.

I saw a flight attendant once bring 2 glasses with ice cubes to a boy. He put the glasses on his ears and apparently this helped a lot. I'm guessing because of the fact that temperature and pressure are related. Maybe this might help for your daughter.

The water sips works really well too.